IGGLEPHANS

IGGLEPHANS (http://igglephans.com/iggboard/index.php)
-   Igglephans Main Board (http://igglephans.com/iggboard/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I find this almost impossible to believe. (http://igglephans.com/iggboard/showthread.php?t=310703)

RSE 08-11-2017 05:07 PM

I find this almost impossible to believe.
 
From the Buffalo News:

"According to the Bills, Matthews is one of just five receivers to record 65 or more catches and 800 or more receiving yards in each of his first three NFL seasons. The others are Odell Beckham Jr., Mike Evans, A.J. Green and Randy Moss."

Honestly, did Matthews do anything memorable in his three years in Philly? Memorable in a good way that is? He isn't even in the same area code with those other four receivers.

KenfromCanada 08-11-2017 05:10 PM

I think that there's a whole lot of 3rd and 8 there and he caught a pass for 6. I read that stat last week and found it hard to digest.

IronEagle 08-11-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSE (Post 1883031)
From the Buffalo News:

"According to the Bills, Matthews is one of just five receivers to record 65 or more catches and 800 or more receiving yards in each of his first three NFL seasons. The others are Odell Beckham Jr., Mike Evans, A.J. Green and Randy Moss."

Honestly, did Matthews do anything memorable in his three years in Philly? Memorable in a good way that is? He isn't even in the same area code with those other four receivers.

He was productive stat in a vacuum wise but not a guy who would make the big clutch play.

Also his value outside is questionable. I don't think the Eagles wanted to spend a lot of $$$ on a slot receiver when they have other players they like in that role.

slag 08-11-2017 05:15 PM

I think he's a solid NFL player but I also have some recollection of people commenting that Matthews was noted for padding his stats when games were out of reach late.

EDITED TO ADD: And considering the other WRs on the team, I don't have the numbers but I imagine he got the lion's share of the targets.

slag 08-11-2017 05:19 PM

PS - confidential to RSE
 
I like Hollins an' all, but it annoys me to see someone other than Jackson wearing 10 for the Eagles.

Particularly, after watching the first episode of Hard Knocks and seeing various Buc players splooging over him in practice as he runs away from people like they're standing still.

RSE 08-11-2017 05:23 PM

Chip sure showed him.

RSE 08-11-2017 05:25 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/bucswire....ning-camp/amp/

IronEagle 08-11-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSE (Post 1883038)
Chip sure showed him.

Here is a somewhat amusing read:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...-picks-grading

I love this quote:
"Hence why terms like "value" and "reach" are overstated. Kelly's real sense of "value" isn't where a player is drafted. Instead, it's about how a certain player fits into the Eagles' scheme and culture."

The Duck 08-11-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSE (Post 1883031)
From the Buffalo News:

"According to the Bills, Matthews is one of just five receivers to record 65 or more catches and 800 or more receiving yards in each of his first three NFL seasons. The others are Odell Beckham Jr., Mike Evans, A.J. Green and Randy Moss."

Honestly, did Matthews do anything memorable in his three years in Philly? Memorable in a good way that is? He isn't even in the same area code with those other four receivers.

Here are the averages for those five receivers. See if you can spot JMatt's numbers.

1. 79 rec, 1193 yards, 9 TDs
2. 96 rec, 1374 yards, 12 TDs
3. 80 rec, 1189 yards, 8 TDs
4. 77 rec, 1205 yards, 12 TDs
5. 75 rec, 891 yards, 6 TDs

IronEagle 08-11-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duck (Post 1883043)
Here are the averages for those five receivers. See if you can spot JMatt's numbers.

1. 79 rec, 1193 yards, 9 TDs
2. 96 rec, 1374 yards, 12 TDs
3. 80 rec, 1189 yards, 8 TDs
4. 77 rec, 1205 yards, 12 TDs
5. 75 rec, 891 yards, 6 TDs

I actually think that stat was put out there by HoLow while he was shopping Matthews around. It appeared a lot on Twitter over the last couple of months.

The Duck 08-11-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronEagle (Post 1883044)
I actually think that stat was put out there by HoLow while he was shopping Matthews around. It appeared a lot on Twitter over the last couple of months.

Well then, Bravo HowLo.

Ellsworth 08-11-2017 10:44 PM

#checkdowns
#crossingroutes

The Duck 08-11-2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellsworth (Post 1883055)
#checkdowns
#crossingroutes

I actually like the guy. Hard worker, good teammate, solid character. He's going to be a productive player for a long time, limitations and all.

But I'm thrilled with this trade. Howie got great value here.

Ellsworth 08-11-2017 11:19 PM

It was the drops that made me start to hate the entire collective unit. We needed a WR enema and we got 1 for the most part.

Jagholar only guy returning who saw significant snaps. So that's encouraging.

The Duck 08-12-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellsworth (Post 1883057)
It was the drops that made me start to hate the entire collective unit. We needed a WR enema and we got 1 for the most part.

Jagholar only guy returning who saw significant snaps. So that's encouraging.

It's kinda cool that Howie sees the same weaknesses everyone else sees. It remains to be seen if he took the right corrective action, but at least his eyes are open. That wasn't the case with FF. For the longest time, it seemed like he was making decisions to prove the fans and media wrong. Especially when it came to receivers and linebackers.

ishimonster 08-12-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSE (Post 1883031)
Honestly, did Matthews do anything memorable in his three years in Philly? Memorable in a good way that is? He isn't even in the same area code with those other four receivers.

The game winner against the Cowboys.

Other than that, not much. Pretty sure he had some costly fumbles too.

ishimonster 08-12-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duck (Post 1883073)
It's kinda cool that Howie sees the same weaknesses everyone else sees. It remains to be seen if he took the right corrective action, but at least his eyes are open. That wasn't the case with FF. For the longest time, it seemed like he was making decisions to prove the fans and media wrong. Especially when it came to receivers and linebackers.

You mean Akeem Jordan, Stew Bradley, and Chris Gocong wasn't an elite LB unit?Moises Fokou? Jamar Chaney?

Ellsworth 08-12-2017 06:11 PM

Roseman likely sits in his office and listens to 97.5 & 94.1 all day long. Rabbit eared sumbitch.

The Duck 08-12-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishimonster (Post 1883075)
You mean Akeem Jordan, Stew Bradley, and Chris Gocong wasn't an elite LB unit?Moises Fokou? Jamar Chaney?

Stewart Bradley was on his way to being a pretty good player until Fright Night happened.

AnnapolisEagle 08-13-2017 05:33 PM

I can't help but feel this is a tallest-midget-in-the-circus situation.

While he wasn't in any way a world-beater, he was a competent NFL receiver from Day One. I don't like to see him leave, if only because Wentz clearly liked him as a target and he was going to get a lot more favorable matchups this season.

That said, with receiver now arguably a position of strength, it made sense to work a trade for a corner and Darby could be an excellent addition.

The priority next season will probably be re-signing Alshon, so I'm not sure Matthews would be coming back. I think the talk about him being in line for an expensive deal is overblown; he even seems like the kind of guy who would take a hometown discount. But the team has a lot of guys due to become free agents, so there won't be a lot of money in the WR budget if Jeffrey plays up to expectations.

-AE




Quote:

Originally Posted by RSE (Post 1883031)
From the Buffalo News:

"According to the Bills, Matthews is one of just five receivers to record 65 or more catches and 800 or more receiving yards in each of his first three NFL seasons. The others are Odell Beckham Jr., Mike Evans, A.J. Green and Randy Moss."

Honestly, did Matthews do anything memorable in his three years in Philly? Memorable in a good way that is? He isn't even in the same area code with those other four receivers.



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Post Contents are owned by the posters. Use the "Contact Us" link to contact us for administrative issues. Original Artwork and other content copyright 2000-2007 by Raptor (mostly) and/or IGGLEPHANS