IGGLEPHANS

IGGLEPHANS (http://igglephans.com/iggboard/index.php)
-   Igglephans Main Board (http://igglephans.com/iggboard/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I think Doug may surprise us (http://igglephans.com/iggboard/showthread.php?t=313934)

Birdwatcher 12-31-2017 08:50 PM

I think Doug may surprise us

I think he may have gone pass happy the last couple of weeks just to give Foles passing reps, even though it did not go well at all. But I gotta think that the game plan for the playoffs is pound the rock, eat the clock, and give Foles a few chances on play action with Ds having to respect the run. It is what he did with Wentz early in the season, after the KC game with great success. I think the D will keep us in it, and with the O grinding out long slow drives, they will stay fresh and aggressive. That's how I would play it anyway.

bobbyuk 12-31-2017 08:55 PM

He said as much in his post game. “You have to play great defense and run the ball. That’s been our formula all season long. We have to get back to that.”

Pete 12-31-2017 09:18 PM

The issue is

I think teams will stack the box and dare Foles to beat them through the air.

1960 12-31-2017 09:32 PM

They would be smart to start more plays under center. Better for the run game and play action will help the passing game. Not to mention Kelce snaps are awful.

Ground_Meat 12-31-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher (Post 1897533)
I think he may have gone pass happy the last couple of weeks just to give Foles passing reps, even though it did not go well at all. But I gotta think that the game plan for the playoffs is pound the rock, eat the clock, and give Foles a few chances on play action with Ds having to respect the run. It is what he did with Wentz early in the season, after the KC game with great success. I think the D will keep us in it, and with the O grinding out long slow drives, they will stay fresh and aggressive. That's how I would play it anyway.

If he has half a brain, he will. He really doesnít have a choice.

Joker 12-31-2017 09:50 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Ground and pound

Corkey_for_President 01-01-2018 02:42 AM

Not in his DNA. He can’t help himself but to run that fucked up variant of a WCO. At the slightest dip in score, he’ll go pass happy(ier).

art vandelay 01-01-2018 05:07 AM

i thought the same thing about going pass happy to give foles reps. and it only went badly against oakland. we put up 34 against the giants so i don't think not running the ball held us back offensively.

DEERSPINE GUY 01-01-2018 10:53 AM

GOING TO BE A 55-45 BALANCE, LIKE EARLY IN THE YEAR. RUN RUN RUN.

Maniac 01-01-2018 11:01 AM

Won't work unless Foles proves he can pass.

ArkansasEagle 01-01-2018 12:16 PM

Wentz and the offense did a great job throughout the year converting third downs. Not seeing Foles being able to have the same success unless something changes. He also needs to be more aware in the pocket. Too many plays where he doesn't "feel" the pressure and turnovers happen.

Pete 01-01-2018 12:20 PM

Committing to the run game

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArkansasEagle (Post 1897594)
Wentz and the offense did a great job throughout the year converting third downs. Not seeing Foles being able to have the same success unless something changes. He also needs to be more aware in the pocket. Too many plays where he doesn't "feel" the pressure and turnovers happen.

Is so much easier when you have a guy who converts 3rd and 7 after 2- and 1-yard runs.

Snakebitten 01-01-2018 12:39 PM

I'm hoping the plan was the keep Ajayi fresh for the playoffs. I still think he's not 100% but a few weeks off may help. Playing in Miami, I'm sure he saw his share of stacked boxes.

All I know is if this team comes in unprepared for the fourth game in a row, I will know that Wentz is making Pederson look a lot better than he really is.

slag 01-01-2018 12:50 PM

Gomer needs to recognize Foles' shortcomings (particularly in seeing the field) and should adjust his plays to fit the skill set.

Unfortunately Foles' propensity to lock on one guy and pay too much attention to the pass rush (with the connected inability to see all his options) may be due to lack of playing time and not so much because he sucks.

Or it might be because he sucks.

Either way, he cannot run the same shit Wentz ran, which often required Wentz to pull some athletic move Foles does not have or throw into a window Foles cannot (or will not) try.

Raptor 01-01-2018 12:50 PM

Doug has already surprised us

.....with making this team a contender so quickly in the face of strong doubt from the fan base and others.

Going to be difficult for another surprise, a lot to ask IMO

slag 01-01-2018 12:52 PM

Particularly when the biggest reason for the surprise is in a cast.

bobbyuk 01-01-2018 02:06 PM

I’m thinking that Foles’ strength is the short passing game coupled with a strong running game with occasional shots down the field. Of course 3 things would help:

1. Better protection from the line
2. His receivers actually catching the easy throws
3. Elimination of the stupid penalties this team seems to take

Maniac 01-01-2018 05:00 PM

There's only so much you can fix. I agree with everything you say. Gomer is a decent head coach - better than FF I think - but Wentz has made him look great. I have no faith in Foles. All about the defense now.

Maniac 01-01-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyuk (Post 1897609)
Iím thinking that Folesí strength is the short passing game coupled with a strong running game with occasional shots down the field. Of course 3 things would help:

1. Better protection from the line
2. His receivers actually catching the easy throws
3. Elimination of the stupid penalties this team seems to take

Foles has no strengths except experience. So run lots, get rid of the ball early and bench Smith.