X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion of Sprole impact to the Eagles offense

http://regressing.deadspin.com/a-qui...les-1542974973

---
    Last year, LeSean McCoy led the league in combined rushing/receiving DYAR for a running back, by a wiiiide margin. He ran up 478 DYAR, almost 100 more than Danny Woodhead and Jamaal Charles at 386 and 381, respectively. McCoy had more DYAR than all but two backfields, Denver and San Diego's, did with all their running backs combined. But he's also all the Eagles had.

Sproles finished last year 14th in the league, with 196 DYAR, but here's where the fit comes in: He played only 384 snaps last year. He doesn't need a ton of work to be a helpful player—so he shouldn't get lost behind McCoy. LeSean could also probably use the break, as he played 890 snaps last year, second among running backs only to Matt Forte's ridiculous 940.

The Eagles' recent, shit history of assembling dream teams notwithstanding, Sproles—along with the returning Maclin—plugs the biggest hole on one of the best offenses in the league. (Well, besides the offensive line—which, yes, big exception.)
    ---
    --
    Your Retarded

I obviously love the move, I don't have any idea how defenses plan on stopping some of the tricky sets Chip will incorporate. As for the dream team comment, I don't really view this team as a dream team. Just a bunch of hard working, likable, young players all-in for a common goal.

Comment

"If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

I think Sproles is an aging veteran whose best years are behind him. And for those who think he'll be an upgrade for the return game, Demaris Johnson had better return stats than him last year.

I'd like to think he might give the team a coupla good years similar to Brian Mitchell in the early 2000's, but that's not certain.

I think the Eagles are going to regret this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
          You want people for future possibilities, not past performance.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
            I think the Eagles are going to regret this one.
            Definitely. The Eagles traded a 5th rounder for him. A 5th round pick is usually a perennial all-pro for 10 to 12 years.

The Eagles have just set themselves back a decade at least.

Comment

Originally posted by McNabbhater View Post
              Definitely. The Eagles traded a 5th rounder for him. A 5th round pick is usually a perennial all-pro for 10 to 12 years.

Trent Cole, Earl Wolff, Riley Cooper, Brent Celek were all 5th rounders. I don't think they were bad decisions.
              Last edited by The Ref; 03-14-2014, 12:19 AM.

Comment

You sir...

Originally posted by McNabbhater View Post

Are a complete and utter moron!!! A dickless Andy Reid apologist who knows absolutely nothing about football. Just get lost already...

Perennial all pro??!!! Really?? Again, get lost. You should take a vacation...I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year! Fuckin idiot!!

Comment

This isn't about Reid or Kelly. This is about a team giving away a pick that was virtually certain to yield a future Hall of Famer in exchange for a player on the down side of his career. No coach could overcome a move like this.

This trade reminds me a little of when the Vikings blew out their entire organization to get Herschel Walker and didn't recover for years. The Eagles are going to be feeling this move for a long, long time.

Now maybe if the Eagles could do something like trade Casey Matthews for a 6th or something they could at least minimize the damage, but barring that I just don't see any possibility that this team will be competitive again before the 2023 season.

Comment

Originally posted by birds586 View Post
                    Are a complete and utter moron!!! A dickless Andy Reid apologist who knows absolutely nothing about football. Just get lost already...

Perennial all pro??!!! Really?? Again, get lost. You should take a vacation...I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year! Fuckin idiot!!
                    Damn dude i guess your sarcasm radar is in the shop?

Comment

Nah bro...

Originally posted by SCREAMIN EAGLE View Post
                      Damn dude i guess your sarcasm radar is in the shop?
                      This clown is actually delusional enough to believe this shit that he says! If it is in fact some kinda mindfuck then yea I'll back off.

But in all seriousness...fuck that dude!

Comment

No, that was blatantly obvious sarcasm

Originally posted by birds586 View Post
                        This clown is actually delusional enough to believe this shit that he says! If it is in fact some kinda mindfuck then yea I'll back off.

But in all seriousness...fuck that dude!
                        Keep your head in the game, my man.
                        The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

So would u trade Issac Sopoaga for Darren Sproles? That is really all this trade was. It wasn't even our own 5th rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by weizer View Post
                            So would u trade Issac Sopoaga for Darren Sproles? That is really all this trade was. It wasn't even our own 5th rounder.
                            I think that's why this one is an easy risk/reward winner. Sproles also has had limit miles for the bulk of his career. His snap count has been relatively low, especially compared to how high McCoy's has been

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
                              Keep your head in the game, my man.
                              yeah, you've mastered how to pick up obvious sarcasm. I'm kneeing jonathan martins face in as I type this.

Comment

Working...
                              X