• Show
Clear All

• This is...

the end of the game.

One of the great quotes of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jpprJLVHE0
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

It's should be titled 'How to keep Collinsworth quiet for almost an entire minute.' Man, that game ending call still sucks.

Comment

I'm convince those guys had money on the Pats. Not because they were slanted (they were) but they called the end of that super bowl like it was a preseason game. Didn't notice at the time, but it is very bizarre.
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Absolute Horseshit...

Michaels: "and that's it...the game is over" WTF

Comment

As I understand it....

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
          I'm convince those guys had money on the Pats. Not because they were slanted (they were) but they called the end of that super bowl like it was a preseason game. Didn't notice at the time, but it is very bizarre.
          Al Michaels is good friends with Kraft.

Collinsworth has never been big on Philly.

I’ve read criticism from fellow media types on thier lack luster performance.....screw who was playing it was the highest offensive performance on ANY NFL game and it was hardly mentioned.

Disappointing to say the least.....but fuck it I’ll take the Championship.
          "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

I always figured announcers lived for those types of calls. I guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
              It's should be titled 'How to keep Collinsworth quiet for almost an entire minute.' Man, that game ending call still sucks.
              NO disagreement
              --------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                NO disagreement
                We’ve been lucky enough to have some of the greats pass this way..Gene Hart, Harry the K and Whitey Ashburn, and of course Merrill Reese, whose call of the final play will never be forgotten...

https://youtu.be/SbsD3-GeHfI

Comment

Michaels had a dogshit call

And I know I'm going to take shit for this but I've never thought Merrill Reese, despite a great voice, is a great radio play by play guy.

Is the call iconic because we're Eagles fans?

Yes.

But he's supposed to be making a call for someone who can't see the game.

Compare the Patriots radio call ... he sets the players in the formation ... his description of Brady eluding the rush is way more detailed and accurate ... he notes Gronkowski is at the spot where the ball is coming down.

It's a much more descriptive call of the play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aftrKoXwOHs

Merrill is great to listen to if you're watching the game ... but he's supposed to be doing the radio, not TV or for someone in the stands.
                  Last edited by slag; 02-26-2018, 10:11 PM.
                  Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

NO disagreement
                    "Do you believe in miracles?!?!?" it wasn't. I honestly would have preferred a Joe Buck call.

Kevin Harlan had a nice call for Westwood One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZE1kufsrDo (4:31:20)

Comment

Pretty good call.

Neutral but captured the moment.
                      --------

Comment

Pretty good call.

Neutral but captured the moment.
                        Tough play to call, everybody was watching the ball and the clock at the same time. A Darby pick-six would have been so much easier.

Comment

No shit from me

Originally posted by slag View Post
                          And I know I'm going to take shit for this but I've never thought Merrill Reese, despite a great voice, is a great radio play by play guy.

Is the call iconic because we're Eagles fans?

Yes.

But he's supposed to be making a call for someone who can't see the game.

Compare the Patriots radio call ... he sets the players in the formation ... his description of Brady eluding the rush is way more detailed and accurate ... he notes Gronkowski is at the spot where the ball is coming down.

It's a much more descriptive call of the play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aftrKoXwOHs

Merrill is great to listen to if you're watching the game ... but he's supposed to be doing the radio, not TV or for someone in the stands.
                          Much more descriptive no doubt, but at that point I was all about the homerism, ain’t gonna lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
                            I live in NYC. We have Giants, Jets fans here and a lot of fans of other teams visiting. It seems like fans of all teams hate his calls.
                            --------

Comment

HE'S JUST ANOTHER HATER. I REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT THAT JAGOFF SAYS OR ACTS LIKE.... FUCK THEM.....

NO ONE LIKES US. WE DON'T CARE.
                              "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Working...
                              X