Eagles winning the Superbowl has zero relation to the 76ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles winning the Superbowl has zero relation to the 76ers

Winning the Superbowl is like one of the great moments of your life -- getting married, having a baby. Losing a playoff series in this manner is like a death in the family. Sure its great we just had a baby aka #blessed, but your brother is still fucking dead.

I just dont get the "But we won the Superbowl" crowd whatsoever. Its a bullshit rationalization. It doesn't work for me. If anything, having seen and felt the pinnacle makes it worse. These 2 things live separately in my mind.

Winning the Superbowl has raised the bar for me. I can't rationalize a 76ers early playoff exit in this way loss with Eagles Superbowl. For those who can, more power to ya. But my mind doesnt work that way.
    WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Rationalize?

People who had realistic expectations aren't rationalizing.

And those who didn't don't have a corner on disappointment either.
    Last edited by slag; 05-10-2018, 08:37 AM.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

It was quite realistic for the 76ers to beat the Celtics. They were favored. They should have.

Please dont lawyer this thread

Comment

You think it was unrealistic to believe they could beat the Celtics without their two best players?? I hear what you are saying, but this was a winnable series. They didn't lose 3-1 because they were playing a far superior team. They wilted and didn't play to their own level.
        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

The Eagles winning the Super Bowl is the greatest thing that could happen to Philly fans. I do not dispute that at all. It doesn't mean that I can't be critical of the Sixers 3 months later because I feel as a fan Colangelo fucked up what I was fine with the last few years and that was tanking to eventually get a great one. I'm a Sixer fan too and am not optimistic about ever running through Boston the next 10 years now. Fucking Colangelo....... I'm a 4/4 guy, yes the Eagles are #1 but if I was that satisfied I wouldn't even watch the other teams or care anymore and just be a football fan.

Comment

this is a pretty hot take

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
            The Eagles winning the Super Bowl is the greatest thing that could happen to Philly fans. I do not dispute that at all. It doesn't mean that I can't be critical of the Sixers 3 months later because I feel as a fan Colangelo fucked up what I was fine with the last few years and that was tanking to eventually get a great one. I'm a Sixer fan too and am not optimistic about ever running through Boston the next 10 years now. Fucking Colangelo....... I'm a 4/4 guy, yes the Eagles are #1 but if I was that satisfied I wouldn't even watch the other teams or care anymore and just be a football fan.
            but as good a take as I've ever seen Anthony make. Pretty much agree. Same with Slag - the glow of the Lombardi is pretty warm. Makes this pill easier to swallow.

Also, Phils looking legit right now.

Comment

Shit happens ... they were going to lose at some point in this playoff run ... happened now because they didn't close the deal.

Disappointing ... not like losing a family member though is it?

Comment

Deleted ... no need to get this serious ... it's just sports.
                Last edited by slag; 05-10-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I think some of us endured this process more than others and the way they exited this series was very painful. All I'm saying is the Eagles SB victory doesnt warm that up for me.

Comment

Obviously the life/death thing is hyperbolic. Just using it to make a point that an Eagles SB victory does nothing to console the pain of losing this series.

Comment

Dude, I've seen you lose your sh*t over a blown save in April lol. You're Slagsplaining how people should feel after a brutal playoff series loss. Just let people vent.
                      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by Diggle View Post
                        It was quite realistic for the 76ers to beat the Celtics. They were favored. They should have.

Please dont lawyer this thread
                        Agreed...favored in EVERY game. Just an all-around terrible series.

Comment

This team was 16-19 on Dec 30th. They won 51 games. They made it to the second round of the playoffs.

I hate losing to Boston, but this season was a huge step forward. The fact that they lost to a rival is all the more reason for them to grind this summer.

They had a great opportunity to win the series and most games, but had a lot of trouble executing late in games, something that is very typical of young teams. I still would rather have Joel and Ben Simmons then anyone on Boston's roster, Kyrie included.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                            It doesn't mean that I can't be critical of the Sixers...
                            Certainly be critical. Complain all you want. But damn...you're making brotherharv look like an introvert.

Comment

I don't find a connection to the Super Bowl either ... but I guess I'm not as upset at them laying an egg this early in their careers.

I really didn't think it was realistic to expect them not to shit the bed and they looked off all series.

Personally, it's not an excuse, but I think the worse thing they did was beat the Heat 4-0 and then sit around waiting for the Celtics ... who came in hot while the Sixers had cooled off.

They're clearly not mature enough to flip a switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X