Howie v. Chip redux - did Howie win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howie v. Chip redux - did Howie win?

Howie is Luries made man. Got his deal extended til 2020 and is making extraordinary money even if he was selecting talent (but of course he is not). Now Chip takes all the bullets and Howie isnt dumb... He is handing him the gun and hoping Chip shoots himself. If he does, Howie is the guy to hire his replacement and if he wants to go back to running personnel then, he can. If Chip succeeds, Howies the guy who let the genius do his thing.
    WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Originally posted by Diggle View Post
    Howie is Luries made man. Got his deal extended til 2020 and is making extraordinary money even if he was selecting talent (but of course he is not). Now Chip takes all the bullets and Howie isnt dumb... He is handing him the gun and hoping Chip shoots himself. If he does, Howie is the guy to hire his replacement and if he wants to go back to running personnel then, he can. If Chip succeeds, Howies the guy who let the genius do his thing.
    I think this is a good take on things. Howie is making his money and gets a free ride without scrutiny for a while.

Although I think Howie still needs to watch out a little. JoeLo was Lurie's made man for a long time too.

Bottom line is everything with the Eagles ultimately comes back to Lurie.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Nah

I don't see how Howie survives if Chip fails.
      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
        I don't see how Howie survives if Chip fails.
        why would the person with no power get canned if the person with all of the power fails?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandonn View Post
          why would the person with no power get canned if the person with all of the power fails?
          He did assist in hiring him, as well as building the roster we currently have.

Comment

This Brandumb

Comment

Don't all head coaches fail?

Even the great ones, Knoll,Landry,Lombardi, etcetc , very few stay in the same place their entire career or get to leave on their own terms.

I get what you are saying, Chip takes the big hits and more drama and Howie gets to play lady MacBeth.
              "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

That's my take. Only downside is he doesn't get to play GM anymore. And a slightly bruised ego.
                Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

To be honest, I believe they both win, Howie gets more money, and a "promotion", if Chip fails, and Howie does in fact stay aboard, then he probably gets the GM title back and comes out on top.

Chip is a high risk, high reward kind of guy. One would even call him a control freak. Smoothies, diets, sports science, tempo, practice regiment, in game play calling. If he now calls all the shots, builds a winner, and wins a super bowl, then he was right all along, and probably should have had complete control from the beginning.

In either case, Chip succeeds, Howie still has his job. Chip fails, Howie was right, Chip still gets paid and then goes elsewhere.

I just hope that whatever the outcome may be, a Lombardi is in the Eagles trophy case.

Comment

Howie is exponentially smarter than Harry. It's inevitable that Mr High School is going to fail and bail. Only question is how much damage he does before he leaves. Awesome strategy to give the dope all the rope he needs to hang himself. Probably by the end of next season.

Thinking that might be just the right time for Cowher to come out of retirement.

Comment

now you're giving out organizational IQ rankings?

how does Riley Cooper compare to the NovaCare custodial crew?
                      Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                      May 7, 2010

Comment

Smarter at what??

Certainly not football...
                        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
                          Thinking that might be just the right time for Cowher to come out of retirement.
                          Brilliant! Replace high school harry, who you suspect is bilking your team for an exorbiant paycheck, with Retread Ronnie, the guy you KNOW will bilk your team for a paycheck.
                          Last edited by J_Cuz31; 01-24-2015, 05:49 PM.
                          "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

There's stupid. Then there's la ref stupid

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
                            Brilliant! Replace high school harry, who you suspect is bilking your team for an exorbiant paycheck, with Retread Ronnie, the guy you KNOW will bilk your team for a paycheck.
                            Orders of magnitude difference

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
                              Couldn't care less his paycheck. It's about not being a gimmicky high school coach and preferring one with NFL experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X