Eagles drafting for need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles drafting for need?

Sure doesn't look like best player available.

Needed a tight end and needed to replace the slot CB. Done.

Not a complaint. Just an observation.
    Last edited by Maniac; 04-28-2018, 01:42 PM.
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Is CB a “need” ? DE a “need” ?

I don’t see it...

Comment

I could see this kid with his stats being an OLBer

6 4' 249,,,not a big DE but a good size linebacker.
      OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
      "BFTR"

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
        Is CB a “need” ? DE a “need” ?
        Tight end definitely a need and a slot CB to replace Robinson. DE/OLB always a need in this scheme but also a potential steal there. OL or RB should be next.
        Last edited by Maniac; 04-28-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

CB definitely isn't a "need." they're loaded there.

DE is a need just because of how old they are there. sweat is going to be able to come in just as a pass rusher for the next year or two.

TE is kind of a need, but so were a few other positions. i agree that they didn't draft for need.

Comment

https://insidetheiggles.com/2018/04/...018-nfl-draft/

Need picks.
            Last edited by Maniac; 04-28-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

well, they only drafted needs #1 and #3 on that list. i also think it's kind of a myth that they needed to draft a slot CB. even with worley out, they still have darby and jones on the outside, mills in the slot, and rasul as the 4th corner next year. i thought if anything, worley might have moved to safety to replace corey graham.

i think the only positions that were off the board for the first pick were QB and OL. if they didn't think goedert was the BPA at #49, i don't think they would have traded up for him.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                if they didn't think goedert was the BPA at #49, i don't think they would have traded up for him.
                Unless they needed a tight end.

And drafting the slot CB lets them move one of the other CBs to safety. Not bad picks at all but obviously for need.

Comment

well, sure. but i think TE was a handful of positions they would have traded up for. imo QB, OL, and LB are the only ones they definitely wouldn't have traded up for.

i still don't think TE was a desperate need. burton was a great second TE but only caught 23 passes last year. they can find another celek. they also won't be able to put alshon, agholor, wallace, ertz, and goedert on the field together very often. i think they just saw a playmaker and traded up for him.

to me it makes the most sense to let mills play the slot. maybe rasul moves to safety. i dunno, i wouldn't really call drafting a 4th corner a big "need" pick. but that's just me.

Comment

I'm an advocate of drafting for need so I'm liking the picks so far.

Comment

If they drafted a S, LB, or OT we could say they were drafting for need as well.

I think the Eagles like Nwosu and he was a LB that could be a DE. He went a couple of picks before the Eagles jumped. Gelicki went just before that. I think if both of those guys were still on the board, the Eagles wouldnt have jumped.

Comment

it's always a hybrid of BPA, need and philosophical drafting.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                          it's always a hybrid of BPA, need and philosophical drafting.
                          Just about everybody claims they go BPA. I don't buy it though. This was absolutely a need-oriented draft for the Eagles.

Comment

It's a numbers game - you simply can't just take the best player on the board when you're a good team with good returning players.

This team is loaded up for 2019 only - then expect a lot of changes and a lot of rookies.

Comment

It's a balance of BPA and fit with the current/expected scheme. I wouldn't really call it "need," but it's also not blind BPA. Drafting purely BPA and ignoring potential future depth issues at certain positions makes no sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X