Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make no mistake, that was one of the worst beatdowns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make no mistake, that was one of the worst beatdowns...

...in Eagles history.

I put that one right up there with Vince Lombardi's revenge game in 62, (something like 49-0 at Franklin Field, and that Seahags debacle on Reggie White Night. The big difference, of course, is both of those other beatings involved Eagles teams with no playoff expectations. All three phases sucked, four if you include coaching.

At the same time I am big believer in the football cliche that things are never as bad as they seem, and things are never as good as they seem.

Don't know about you guys but I had this game down as a loss when the schedule came out, Foles was healthy and many were looking for big things from this team. We are 7-3 and still in first place.

I'm not sure what is worse, losing like this or losing a tight one like Arizona we had a great chance to win.

Looking forward, who knows...I'm guessing playoffs and an early exit...this is why we watch...
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

They have a reasonable chance of winning out the final 6

games. Another crazy end of season run, but instead of limping into the playoffs, maybe they would actually have enough to get that 1st round bye.

The Eagles have not entirely dominated at home, but they've played better at home than on the road. I think they can sweep the Cowboys and then Seattle will be the toughest game, and Seattle hasn't played the same as last year.

The problem is whether it would still be enough. The playoffs will have top tier competition that will expose the talent level of this team.

Comment

To me

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
      ...in Eagles history.

I put that one right up there with Vince Lombardi's revenge game in 62, (something like 49-0 at Franklin Field, and that Seahags debacle on Reggie White Night. The big difference, of course, is both of those other beatings involved Eagles teams with no playoff expectations. All three phases sucked, four if you include coaching.

At the same time I am big believer in the football cliche that things are never as bad as they seem, and things are never as good as they seem.

Don't know about you guys but I had this game down as a loss when the schedule came out, Foles was healthy and many were looking for big things from this team. We are 7-3 and still in first place.

I'm not sure what is worse, losing like this or losing a tight one like Arizona we had a great chance to win.

Looking forward, who knows...I'm guessing playoffs and an early exit...this is why we watch...
      one of the most important things is that I still fully expect Chip Kelly to learn from this and really concentrate on fixing the mistakes, which is good because the Eagles are gonna have to go through either Arizona or Green Bay again to get to the SB. They may have to go through both.
      The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

I turned on WIP Sunday morning

And my radio app had about 10 second buffer before it skipped to a commercial - of the Sonny Hill show... Pretty sure he was talking to Irish George. No ?
        Last edited by Chief; 11-18-2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
          one of the most important things is that I still fully expect Chip Kelly to learn from this and really concentrate on fixing the mistakes, which is good because the Eagles are gonna have to go through either Arizona or Green Bay again to get to the SB. They may have to go through both.
          I just hope one of the lessons Chip learns is that to compete with top-flight teams, you need top-flight CBs, and pass rushers that can produce pressure without the blitzing and stunting.

Actually, I have faith in Chip. I hope Howie learns that lesson.

Comment

wooooo!!!

that was me.
            May 7, 2010

Comment

Didya sneak in a plug for your book??

shoulda!
              "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

of course

the Legend of Red Schvantz was mentioned!
                May 7, 2010

Comment

beatdowns like this happen. under FF this team was similarly overmatched by the colts in 02 and 06. the 04 team was dismantled by pittsburgh. even last season we had a similar beatdown against denver. completely overmatched by a great QB on the road in a game that no one expected us to win.

the loss at arizona was DEFINITELY worse, and games like yesterday are the reason. if we beat arizona, we are still a contender for homefield throughout, and green bay is a game that we can afford to lose. now, with a loss at green bay, we are 1-3 against real teams, with those 3 losses being in conference. not only is a first round bye unlikely, but going 11-5 and missing the playoffs is a very real possibility. this team almost has to beat seattle to ensure that that doesn't happen.

this team frustrates me. the losses at SF and arizona rest solely on the shoulders of chip, but i also don't think anyone could have turned this team around from what they were in 2012 and gotten them to 7-3. i love chip but hate to think that he is fatally flawed. my prediction: NFC east winner and 3rd seed at 12-4. first round victory against seattle, second round loss at GB(but much closer than the first). i expect the sanchize to be much better over the next couple weeks, but i expect foles to return as the starter.

Comment

The losses to Arizona and SF were infinitely worse. In both games they were literally knocking on the door in the last minutes and couldn't get in--maybe Arizona was worse because they threw away 14 points on 2 turnovers in the redzone that wouldn't have made that game that close. This game, once Huff let the returner get by him for a TD that made it 17-0, this game was over. There were a couple of different views from sportswriters yesterday--

1. One said this beatdown was worse than the Denver game last year because the Chip Kelly era was only 4 games old and his philosophy was a work in progress.

2. The other said you shouldn't judge the Eagles by this one game--if you do that, then you have to judge NE on the ass kicking they got in KC, the Packers the ass kicking they got in New Orleans, who in turn got their asses kicked in Dallas, who themselves lost to Washington--at home--to a 3rd team QB.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                    X