Mathis released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nerd View Post
    So has he... And 2011 all of them played and they were 8-8. He's a top 3 guard in the league.
    Not anymore. Guys like Yanda, Slaussen, Mankins, Levitre and Iupati have surpassed him. Older Guards still make Pro Bowls long after their abilities start to decline. That fact is fooling you into believing Mathis is still as good as he was three, four seasons ago. He is an OK player at this point but if he doesn't go to an already strong line his effectiveness will deteriorate even further.
    "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Mathis is a solid player and continuity is a good thing, but he's gone.

And before he got to the Eagles he was pretty much the same as the guys who they're looking to replace him with.

Glass half full baby!!!
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
        Mathis is a solid player and continuity is a good thing, but he's gone.

And before he got to the Eagles he was pretty much the same as the guys who they're looking to replace him with.

Glass half full baby!!!
        This is why I said earlier it is better that this happened now rather than later around training camp time.

It was obvious that this wouldn't end in a friendly resolution of differences.
        --------
        "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          It was obvious that this wouldn't end in a friendly resolution of differences.
          By the Eagles choice. I believe Mathis said he would accept the $1M per year bump he was previously offered by Roseman. Affordable.
          Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Only 2 things wrong with that--1. He should have accepted it last year. 2. Roseman is no longer the Eagles GM.

Comment

I'm a bit concerned about this shit myself.

I'm not sure what is more troubling a reason for why this happened.

Kelly being so rigid about culture that he couldn't work something out with the player for missing voluntary workouts ... or they saw an out to save about 10 mil over the next two years on an aging lineman.
              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post

nor has he depleted the roster of talent.
                DeSean Jackson, Lesean McCoy, and Evan Mathis aren't talented?
                The correct observation is Harry didn't know how to use them.

You still have all-world Riley Cooper though. So there's that.

One more season of high school ball for you folks. Then a real NFL'er will stop by to pick up the pieces.

Comment

by then "you folks" will have a professional football team again and you can finally fuck off and stop posing
                  "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                    By the Eagles choice. I believe Mathis said he would accept the $1M per year bump he was previously offered by Roseman. Affordable.
                    Agreed. From reading other player's comments, I have the sense that this got personal between Kelly and Mathis some time during last season.

I still don't know what to make of Chip Kelly. I'm not a hater but by no means am I drinking the Kelly Kool Aid like a lot of people are (you know who they are on the board) I guess put me in the skeptical but hopeful group like RSE.
                    --------
                    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

All of the above, but taking an out certainly helps the balance sheet.

Foremost, the Eagles believe they have an quality replacement with someone on the roster or via trade.

Regarding the money issue, the salary cap balance between offense and defense was a perceived issue, and I think Kelly made reference to it Without Mathis, the Eagles now have a balance of $75M in offense and $63M in defense... which they probably consider "balanced" when you factor in 13M for a QB.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyuk View Post
                        Only 2 things wrong with that--1. He should have accepted it last year. 2. Roseman is no longer the Eagles GM.
                        So what? Kelly could have made the same offer. This was pure Chip. He gave 13M to Bradford.

Comment

Trading McCoy and adding Alonzo, Murray and Matthews is hardly depleting talent... Not to mention that all three players combined cost less money.

DeSean Jackson was replaced with a cheaper Maclin with equal production on a injured riddled offense. They wanted Maclin back, but the allure of going home and getting paid cost the Eagles. Don't forget Agholor. The Eagles will continue to see fine production at the WR spot FOR MUCH LESS MONEY!

Evan Mathis became a cost vs. value vs. a pain in the ass. He'll be a 34 year old G eating up a lot of cap space on the offense. Now excuse me while I sprinkle the lawn!
                          Last edited by Drama Queen; 06-14-2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                            Trading McCoy and adding Alonzo, Murray and Matthews is hardly depleting talent... Not to mention that all three players combined cost less money.
                            They're paying Murray and Matthews less than they were going to pay Shady? Don't know about that.

If Alonso plays All Pro, it's a good deal

Comment

Here's an article.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...SYb6y4GKGmP9sg

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
                                I never liked Mathis as a person. I always felt he had a little Incognito in him. As for his play on the field, i think he had a remarkable season in 2011 when he was playing on the "show me" contract. Otherwise he was more bluster than bite.

He looked better than he was not just because he was lining up alongside Peters but also because he had Kelce on the other side. Those two were the studs. This guy is gonna disappear without them.
                                he holds a lot too

Comment

Working...
                                X