Confidential to Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidential to Duck

BCS renewed for next season ... I was a tad concerned when it had not been announced sooner
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Originally posted by slag View Post
    BCS renewed for next season ... I was a tad concerned when it had not been announced sooner
    I hadn't noticed. I just assumed it was a lock. Apparently some internal upheaval at AMC delayed the inevitable.

Fargo is going to be the interesting one. My feeling is it's done, but we'll see.

Comment

There were concerns by many in TV reporting that the ratings would be a problem with renewal.

However, I think the critical acclaim gave AMC a reason to keep it, despite something of a drop in the ratings, because awards and nominations generate a lot of free publicity, and general marketing ammo, for the network.

I was more comfortable about renewal after the last episode this year when they had "Talking Saul" and discussed what certain characters might do going forward ... didn't make sense to me that they'd have that post-season show and not renew it.

However, I was still a little unsure.
      Last edited by slag; 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I hadn't looked at the ratings before you mentioned them here. Wow, they're pretty pedestrian. I'd just assumed BCS was a solid hit, but it's really not at all.

Kinda depressing.

Comment

Have the ratings been slipping or have they been consistently mediocre?
          On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Having not watched Breaking Bad at all and having watched four or so episodes of BCS because my wife watches it, I give you my two cents:

It is a slow moving show about awful people. And if you are not invested in the sequel and Saul Goodman, it's easy to say meh and move on.

Comment

It's definitely more about the characters and what makes them tick than it is an action show. There are some tense moments, but primarily it's kind of quirky and fun...and yeah, it helps to already have an understanding on how the characters eventually end up.

Comment

Yeah that's my belief, if you watched BB this is very intriguing to watch.
                On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Originally posted by CbEagle View Post
                  Have the ratings been slipping or have they been consistently mediocre?
                  Pretty consistently mediocre. There was a big drop off at the beginning (BB curiosity factor). And a very big drop off after the first episode this season.

Comment

Bob Odenkirk is a hoot.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                      Having not watched Breaking Bad at all and having watched four or so episodes of BCS because my wife watches it, I give you my two cents:

It is a slow moving show about awful people. And if you are not invested in the sequel and Saul Goodman, it's easy to say meh and move on.
                      Awful might be a bit harsh. The characters are deeply flawed, but not completely irredeemable. I prefer Saul to Breaking Bad for that reason... I just like the primary characters better. And the best character in either show (Jonathan Banks' "Mike") has a much more prominent role on Saul (his feature episode "Five-O", which goes back to his days as a Philly cop, is the best episode of either series, IMO).

It's definitely slow developing, but very deliberate in everything it does. A great deal of thought and care go into every detail of the show, and when you buy in, even when it seems slow, you're fully engaged because you know important things are happening on the screen and you get into the habit of looking for them.

I get that it's not for everyone, so the modest ratings shouldn't surprise me. But if you ever do get around to watching Breaking Bad, try going back and giving it another shot from the beginning. I think you get a better appreciation for what they've done when you see where it began. It really is impressive what they've done with a couple of satellite characters and their backstories, and how they've made it all fit together so well. There's also a lot of House of Games-era Mamet in that first season, and a ton of cinematic references throughout the series (there was a nice nod to Coppola's "The Conversation" in the finale, for example). I could see you getting hooked pretty quickly if you watched Breaking Bad and gave BCS your full attention.

Comment

But, they aren't redeemed.

Comment

You don't like anti-heros?

Comment

Off the top of my head I can't think of a spin off show as good as BCS. Even though as a stand alone its a good show with great writing, not sure how much I'd like it if I hadn't seen Breaking Bad. Part of the fun for me is finding the easter eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                              But, they aren't redeemed.
                              Jimmy has moments of redemption. We all know where he ends up, but he's battling and that makes him likable. They pushed the limits of that likability this season, but they didn't ruin him.

Mike is as decent as he can be, given his circumstances (watch his episode from the first season). Yeah, he's mixed up in the underworld, but there's a Tom Hegan-esque sort of nobility about him.

Kim Wexler, I think, will ultimately be redeemed. She's a great character, and I don't think the writers have it in them to cast her off into the darkness.

Nacho also has a legit shot at redemption.

Comment

Working...
                              X