• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player's Tribune - Derek Barnett

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/de...-cover-letter/

Awesome stuff

Comment

He wasn't really on my radar, but seems like a really solid pick. I keep forgetting about the addition of Jernigan - this line could be really good. That will help the secondary and there should be good options there tonight.

I'd probably be inclined to get the best CB in the second round and hope Foreman is there in the third.
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

It's hard to argue with this pick. I have no idea if his numbers will translate in the NFL but if they like what they see, why not? Graham led the defensive ends with 5.5 sacks last year. That's a big concern. A good pass rush helps a bad secondary.

Sure, they need cornerbacks but why reach if they feel the value isn't there? If they thought he was the best player available, they made the right choice. Drafting for specific position need is where they get in trouble (Smith, Watkins).

Let's not forget this team also doesn't have a #1 running back. That's a huge gap, too (I wouldn't be surprised if Kamara was this pick tonight).

If they like corners later in the draft (Sidney Jones?), take a few and we'll keep our fingers crossed. Let's not forget players can still be cut.

They can't fix everything in one draft, this team has too many gaps.

Comment

So many of the league's top RBs were drafted later, I don't think there's a need to force an RB. Consider last year's leading rushing list:

1) Elliot - 1st
          2) Howard - 5th
          3) Murray - 3rd
          4) Ajayi - 5th
          5) Bell - 2nd
          6) McCoy - 2nd
          7) Johnson - 3rd
          8) Blount - Undrafted
          9) Freeman - 4th
          10) Miller - 4th

Also, Blount is still an FA.
          Last edited by JuTMSY4; 04-28-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
            He wasn't really on my radar, but seems like a really solid pick. I keep forgetting about the addition of Jernigan - this line could be really good. That will help the secondary and there should be good options there tonight.

I'd probably be inclined to get the best CB in the second round and hope Foreman is there in the third.
            PLEASE QUINCY WILSON! Tall and lengthy and is a quality press-man corner option.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
              It's hard to argue with this pick. I have no idea if his numbers will translate in the NFL but if they like what they see, why not? Graham led the defensive ends with 5.5 sacks last year. That's a big concern. A good pass rush helps a bad secondary.

Sure, they need cornerbacks but why reach if they feel the value isn't there? If they thought he was the best player available, they made the right choice. Drafting for specific position need is where they get in trouble (Smith, Watkins).

Let's not forget this team also doesn't have a #1 running back. That's a huge gap, too (I wouldn't be surprised if Kamara was this pick tonight).

If they like corners later in the draft (Sidney Jones?), take a few and we'll keep our fingers crossed. Let's not forget players can still be cut.

They can't fix everything in one draft, this team has too many gaps.
              Hope they sign Jason McCourty or Alterraun Verner if they go anything but CB with this next pick.

Comment

You can't not be happy about this

I think on the low end of expectations we just drafted a Derrick Morgan type. I was actually kinda bummed when they took Graham over Morgan.
                -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                  I think on the low end of expectations we just drafted a Derrick Morgan type. I was actually kinda bummed when they took Graham over Morgan.
                  Plenty of fans/writers are. You hate it because of Bumford. Get over it.

Comment

I just said I liked it... And then said on the low end they got a very solid player....
                    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                      I just said I liked it... And then said on the low end they got a very solid player....
                      I stand corrected...read it wrong. Your double-negative threw me off.
                      Last edited by Ground_Meat; 04-28-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phillyeagles36 View Post
                        Hope they sign Jason McCourty or Alterraun Verner if they go anything but CB with this next pick.
                        There's plenty of time to fill the gaps. I prefer to let it play out first.

Comment

Working...
                        X