Eagles C Vandervelde Re-Signed; OL Smith Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by common wealth View Post
    You draft for long term, not this season. Judging him from 6 games, or even one season, is silly.

I know overreacting is your thing, but come the fuck on. If he is a solid starter in a couple of years, and plays at a relatively high level for 8 years or so, then it was a fine pick.
    Pro bowl might be going a bit far. High level for 8 years (I think Demeco Ryan's-level)...I agree with you. I just thought we were done with this Garbage-drafting and drafting strategies.

Comment

Originally posted by TRENT View Post
      I was wondering how he was doing...they brought him in and then Nothing.
      He has a back injury; they are tough on O linemen. He is a better backup than Molk,,for now he's just good Insurance. glad he's back
      I haven't seen enough of Vandervelde to know that he is a better backup than Molk.

I'm sure Vandervelde is a better singer, though.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

really

I had no clue the guy could sing

all I know is that the Club considered him to be the next guy in for the O line last year at Center and Guard,,,He is bigger but that doesn't necessarily mean better.. at this point I don't see them replacing Molk right away but if he struggles we have something better than Smith,
        OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
        "BFTR"

Comment

They drafted who they thought would be the best player over their career, not this upcoming season. That is a sound strategy. Picking who they thought would help them the most this year only gets the fans like you fired up, but doesn't build the best team.

Who would you have taken at 26? Maybe Benjamin or Roby? There weren't many players on the board at "positions of need" that they could have drafted.

And when Trent Cole is gone, OLB is a position of need they already filled (hopefully)

Comment

They drafted who they thought would be the best player over their career, not this upcoming season. That is a sound strategy. Picking who they thought would help them the most this year only gets the fans like you fired up, but doesn't build the best team.

Who would you have taken at 26? Maybe Benjamin or Roby? There weren't many players on the board at "positions of need" that they could have drafted.

And when Trent Cole is gone, OLB is a position of need they already filled (hopefully)
            Dennard was poised to be a 1st rounder AND DB was (and still is,
            IMO), a position of need...kill 2 birds with one stone.

Marvin Lewis, whom I believe knows defensive players well, called him the best rookie corner he's ever seen (during the preseason).

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post

Marvin Lewis, whom I believe knows defensive players well, called him the best rookie corner he's ever seen (during the preseason).
              I want to say Dennard has seen the field less than Smith this season? I watched most of that Panthers/Bengals game this weekend and can't recall spotting him on the field once.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Triple Dip View Post
                I want to say Dennard has seen the field less than Smith this season? I watched most of that Panthers/Bengals game this weekend and can't recall spotting him on the field once.
                I know he's got at least one sack, because i saw it week 1 or 2. I don't follow the bengals, but am quite sure they have twice the talent @ corner than does the team we route for.
                If he's not seeing much of the field, I would imagine it is because he is surrounded by quality veterans.

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
                  [He was drafted] for a perceived position of need. Next draft they need to go OL, DB, LB and potentially QB
                  I wonder if the birds really wanted Ford who was picked by AndyR shortly before the Bird's pick.

I'd like to see them look for a CB or pass rushing LB in round 1.

Comment

But Marvin Lewis said he is the best rookie corner he has ever laid eyes on!

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post

He was drafted to be a project, and that's all he is right now.
                      You don't draft projects in the first round. Especially when there were two very good cornerbacks sitting there.

But the Eagles are still smarter than everyone else. Always comforted by that.
                      Last edited by The Ref; 10-14-2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post

Again, who did you want them to take at 26, because Dennard was gone by then.

And yes he has a sack, so what? He is a CB with 5 tackles, and zero passes defensed.

Edit: and he has played almost 30 less snaps this year than smith.
                        Last edited by common wealth; 10-14-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Again, who did you want them to take at 26, because Dennard was gone by then.

And yes he has a sack, so what? He is a CB with 5 tackles, and zero passes defensed.

Edit: and he has played almost 30 less snaps this year than smith.
                          they should have taken him at 22

Comment

The fact that he has played 16 snaps so far this year means a whole lot more than a fluff quote from his head coach during training camp. Maybe he will turn into the better player, but neither he nor Smith is most likely going to have much of an impact this year.
                            Last edited by common wealth; 10-14-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

The fact that he has played 16 snaps so far this year means a whole lot more than a fluff quote from his head coach during training camp. Maybe he will turn into the better player, but neither he nor Smith is most likely going to have much of an impact this year.
                              Again, the Benglas secondary is filled with quality DBs. The fact that Smith can't overtake Fredo should be telling you a whole lot more...

Comment

But I do agree with you...probably neither will have any impact on their respective teams this year.

That doesn't mean Dennard couldn't have been a starter in Philadelphia right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X