No announcement yet.

Howie found a way to spend more for a backup QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He gave them that contract because he expected him to start the new two years for the Eagles until Wentz was ready.....he lucked out on to the trade.....It was the signing of both Daniel and Bradford that was dumb....one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteCharlie View Post
      He gave them that contract because he expected him to start the new two years for the Eagles until Wentz was ready.....he lucked out on to the trade.....It was the signing of both Daniel and Bradford that was dumb....one or the other.
      Bradford got his deal in January. They didn't have Wentz.

Comment

The next two years until he found his QB.....which turned out to be Wentz. Makes no difference. I'm saying he was signed to start two years. That's what that contract said.

Comment

How was Howie looking post Bradford? Clarify a little please.

I always believed Bradford was signed with an eye for trade, especially to Denver. I speculated he would go to Denver months before Bradford was due money (I think $11m) before June 1st or so. I believed the Eagles eat that portion of salary as part of a trade with Denver, who were cap strapped...

We can disagree about Howie. I don't think Howie has an eye for talent but believe he is rather artful at negotiations.

Even though you look at Howie with a side eye, I know you are generally optimistic about things like signing Jeffery, etc. Most long timers know that.

Comment

The next two years until he found his QB.....which turned out to be Wentz. Makes no difference. I'm saying he was signed to start two years. That's what that contract said.
            The second year was a team option. He was signed to a contract that kept him under control for two years so he could be traded. The escape clause was there in case a trade didn't happen.

Daniel was brought at low-end starter money to be the new QB's Doug Pederson.
            Last edited by The Duck; 03-14-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Bradford's contract carried dead money we paid last year, you don't design a contract to trade with that dead money......he was signed to start...

Comment

That was the plan, but a fall back and less desirable plan. They overpaid Daniel and we can speculate why, but do know that there was an OFFSET clause in Daniel's contract that helped the Eagles yesterday. We may find out some time later about the savings amount, but that offset was in there!
                Last edited by Drama Queen; 03-14-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Bradford's contract carried dead money we paid last year, you don't design a contract to trade with that dead money......he was signed to start...
                  If you're willing to carry some dead money in a non-competitive season to get a higher return you do. We speculated here last year that Howie was essentially trying to buy a draft pick. The Browns did something along the same lines this year.
                  Last edited by The Duck; 03-14-2017, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Then he waited until one week before the season for that trade? He killed interest from Denver, he squashed any talk of trading him when Bradford wanted out......The contract and the plan was to start him......Bridgewater was not brilliant Howie planning....

Comment

He wasn't ... that's my point.
                      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Then he waited until one week before the season for that trade? He killed interest from Denver, he squashed any talk of trading him when Bradford wanted out......The contract and the plan was to start him......Bridgewater was not brilliant Howie planning....
                        I never said Bridgewater was brilliant planning. I'm saying that holding out for more than whatever Denver offered on draft day was a calculated gamble that paid off. He wanted a first, and with some foresight, planning and luck, he got it.

Comment

Bradford and his dumbass agent killed his trade potential just as much as Howie did...

Comment

how's that?

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                              He wasn't ... that's my point.
                              Roseman gave Bradford a 2 year deal. I think he was always on the trading block.

Drafting Wentz and the Bridgewater injury may have accelerated the time in which he was traded but let's not pretend that he wasn't seen as a bargaining chip by the FO.
                              --
                              Your Retarded

Comment

I think he intended to start him because he'd look like a jackass if he didn't after paying him 36 million dollars (26 guaranteed) ... and Teddy's knee fell out of the sky ... he's a genius!
                                Last edited by slag; 03-14-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X