No announcement yet.

Howie found a way to spend more for a backup QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demanding a trade publicly instead of going to the FO privately.

Comment

He nuked his trade potential to the extent that Howie wasn't going to let him go for peanuts. The Bridgewater injury bailed him out...

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
        I think he intended to start him because he'd look like a jackass if he didn't after paying him 36 million dollars (26 guaranteed) ... and Teddy's knee fell out of the sky ... he's a genius!
        Being prepared to start Bradford and wanting to trade him aren't mutually exclusive.

Comment

oops - igitis
          Last edited by slag; 03-14-2017, 08:30 PM.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Perhaps not

... but I'm not buying the idea that Roseman is all chess in a league full of checkers players, or that he put that contract together to trade Bradford.

He had no idea he'd have a shot at Wentz when he did it.

That contract was a try out for Bradford ... at a high price ... to see if they wanted to sign Bradford to a long term franchise qb kind of deal.

He signed Daniel for ridiculous money because he was, I guess, Pederson's boy and they weren't convinced Bradford would last the season.

Meanwhile, despite all those qb moves, he moves up to get Wentz and only reason he wasn't holding a clipboard last year is that Bridgewater got hurt.

Sorry if Howlo doesn't leave me all warm and fuzzy.
            Last edited by slag; 03-14-2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

... but I'm not buying the idea that Roseman is all chess in a league full of checkers players, or that he put that contract together to trade Bradford.

He had no idea he'd have a shot at Wentz when he did it.

That contract was a try out for Bradford ... at a high price ... to see if they wanted to sign Bradford to a long term franchise qb kind of deal.

He signed Daniel for ridiculous money because he was, I guess, Pederson's boy and they weren't convinced Bradford would last the season.

Meanwhile, despite all those qb moves, he moves up to get Wentz and only reason he wasn't holding a clipboard last year is that Bridgewater got hurt.

Sorry if Howlo doesn't leave me all warm and fuzzy.
              I absolutely think he knew he had a shot at Wentz. Carson was at best considered a top 15 guy around the time Daniel was signed. Only after the combine and the interviews did his value go parabolic, necessitating the moves to move up.

I'm not genuflecting at his image, but I will give credit where it's due. Wentz was a good get, and it took some doing to make it happen. I just happen to think Wentz was the target much earlier than you do, and that Bradford was never anything more than an asset to him.

Comment

Yes.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...wl-team/39570/

Comment

Seems to me your link indicates that Condon believes his move generated a conversation between the teams ... as opposed to nuking anything.

Comment

Right, it's more likely that

Seems to me your link indicates that Condon believes his move generated a conversation between the teams ... as opposed to nuking anything.
                    Condon and Bradford became public malcontents to drive the Eagles asking price lower. They weren't killing the market for trade as much as forcing the Eagles to lower their demands. They didn't drive discussions with Denver once the Eagles signed Daniel and drafted Wentz. Those discussions were already happening in some form.

Much like Kirk Cousins and his camp are doing now by speaking up against GM Allen, demanding a trade with SF and having a meeting face to face with Snyder, etc.
                    Last edited by Drama Queen; 03-15-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

EDITED: The subject at hand is "nuking" trade value, right?

SO, unless there is a compelling argument that Condon's moves raised the Eagles price, those actions did nothing to hinder Bradford getting traded.
                      Last edited by slag; 03-15-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I guess we can agree to disagree

EDITED: The subject at hand is "nuking" trade value, right?

SO, unless there is a compelling argument that Condon's moves raised the Eagles price, those actions did nothing to hinder Bradford getting traded.
                        ... on why the Bradford camp decide to become public malcontents. I wouldn't use the term "nuking" but I do believe the Bradford camp tried to agiate the Eagles into lower their trade demands with Denver.

Comment

You're not agreeing to disagree ... you're agreeing with me.

Engaging in activity that lowers your price enhances your trade prospects, it does not "nuke your trade potential"... as was the original contention to which you posted that link as support.
                          Last edited by slag; 03-15-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I was cupping Howie's balls and not paying attention.

Comment

I don't think Howie felt like he needed to trade Bradford. Letting everyone know publicly that he wanted out would've made it more difficult to get good value in return.

Imo if he never demanded a trade he could've actually ended up in Denver...

Comment

your police work there, Lou.

They were a long damn way from getting the Browns to do that deal and there was certainly no guarantee of it.

And they sure as hell didn't know Teddy Bridgewater would blow out his knee.
                                One of the best movies of all time? You betcha!

Comment

Working...
                                X