The Athletic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Athletic

It's been over a month since the launch of The Athletic here in Philly. I know that many will not pay for content - which I get - but here are my thoughts:

1. The overall coverage and presentation is excellent.

2. The Sheil Kapadia analysis alone is worth the 5 bucks or so per month.

3. The weekly Q&A with Joe Banner is incredibly informative. I hated Banner as a GM, but the insights he provides are unlike stuff you can get anywhere.

4. The Sixers/Flyers coverage is just getting started, but also seems pretty good to me. I don't read it as thoroughly as the Eagles stuff, but what I have read is pretty good analysis.

I have no idea whether the market for paid sports content will make it in Philly, but I will say that I am getting my money's worth on my subscription at this point.

Just thought I'd share some initial impressions - welcome other views if anybody else is a subscriber.

Bored spam

"It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

I'll pay for content, but to be honest I doubt I'd read it enough to be worth $60 a year. If anything I need to cut down on things I pay for that I don't utilize enough.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        I'll pay for content, but to be honest I doubt I'd read it enough to be worth $60 a year. If anything I need to cut down on things I pay for that I don't utilize enough.
        I hear ya - I'm i the same boat. I pay for too much shit that I don't use. Just thought I'd share my initial thoughts on it. I do like Sheil's stuff - liked it on 24/7 before he left for Seattle as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardy View Post
          I hear ya - I'm i the same boat. I pay for too much shit that I don't use. Just thought I'd share my initial thoughts on it. I do like Sheil's stuff - liked it on 24/7 before he left for Seattle as well.
          Here's one other thing.

Back in the day if there was an interesting magazine article or there was news you would buy the magazine or newspaper. FOR THAT ISSUE. That worked well.

I get why a subscription model works better for the journalists, but I hate this "auto renew" crap. Give me the option to buy a single issue online at a reasonable price and I will use it.

For me, Philly.com and NY Times are worth subscribing to. But $150 plus per year for Philly.com for an out of the state reader seems a little pricey. $75 per year and I'm considering it.
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I got a 30% off code

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
            so I don't mind the $3.50 per month cost, and it's a great alternative to Myths and Mucus.

Comment

Working...
            X