Fond memories of Cardinals games gone by

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
    I've heard about this game, but it was a bit before my time and 24/7 coverage. What was the feeling like around that one? Funny how his first game gave us FF in a microcosm.
    I remember watching with a buddy and we started slurpin Reid(love this new coach!) at halftime. Sometimes I forget that he kicked us in the nuts in his very first game.

Comment

Originally posted by C from SD View Post
      They were behind the Cowboys in the standings and clinched the wildcard, but played poorly on the road against the 49ers in the rain.
      The offense played poorly but the defense pummeled the niners. In fact,I will always believe that brett favre owes a debt of gratitude to the eagles. After all, the eagles put steve young out of commission for the following weeks game against the packers. Favre was awful in that playoff game and there is no way the packers would have won if young had played.

Also, that performance by steve young was one of the tougest displays from a qb i have ever seen.
      "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
        I've heard about this game, but it was a bit before my time and 24/7 coverage. What was the feeling like around that one? Funny how his first game gave us FF in a microcosm.
        Expectations were really low. The team that FF inherited was horrible. The offense scored 161 pts the entire season prior. Doug Pederson was brought in as starting QB to absorb punishment instead of throwing rookie McNabb out there to get killed. It sucked to lose the game like that, but it was positive that they were competitive against a team that had won a playoff game the year before. And at that time, offensive TDs for the Eagles were like goals in a world cup soccer game. 2 in a game was an outburst, you'd hope to get 1, and it wasn't abnormal not get any. So 3TDs in the first quarter was a total anomaly. Absolute madness. That was like 2 or 3 games worth of points in a few minutes.

Comment

I've been to 2 Cards-Eagles games--in 1987 after the strike was over and in 02 when McNabb broke his ankle. We were staying in the Holiday Inn Stadium and after McNabb got injured, people already were throwing in the towel. Of course, no one could forsee that Detmer would have the game of his life against the 49ers the next week or Feeley would come in and help them not lose games.

Comment

Working...
          X