So I'm ordering flowers over the phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm ordering flowers over the phone

from a flower shop in Allentown to be sent to a relative who was in the hospital. The flower shop lady finds out I live in Colorado, and says something like, "oh you guys must all be happy because of Peyton's record."

Well, I say, I'm an Eagles fan so I really don't care.

She says something like, well, the other team in Pennsylvania is the real team. Bonehead nitwit Steeler fan.

So I say, oh, you must mean the Lehigh Engineers... She splutters for a while, then says no, I mean the other team out west...

Oh, I say, you mean Penn State...

I don't want to have to deal with that while ordering flowers.

DB
    DB

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
    from a flower shop in Allentown to be sent to a relative who was in the hospital. The flower shop lady finds out I live in Colorado, and says something like, "oh you guys must all be happy because of Peyton's record."

Well, I say, I'm an Eagles fan so I really don't care.

She says something like, well, the other team in Pennsylvania is the real team. Bonehead nitwit Steeler fan.

So I say, oh, you must mean the Lehigh Engineers... She splutters for a while, then says no, I mean the other team out west...

Oh, I say, you mean Penn State...

I don't want to have to deal with that while ordering flowers.

DB

LOL, pretty good Dimmy, pretty good! Lehigh Engineers, used to walk to their field every Thanksgiving for the Easton/P'burg game.

Comment

I think they are called

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
      LOL, pretty good Dimmy, pretty good! Lehigh Engineers, used to walk to their field every Thanksgiving for the Easton/P'burg game.
      mountain hawks or something now
      DB

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
        mountain hawks or something now

Yeah, Mountain Hawks, I didn't realize that, huh, I left before they changed the name.

Nickname, logo, and mascot[edit]

The athletic teams of Lehigh (founded in 1865) were known as the Engineers until the 1995-1996 academic year. Some believe that this nickname was a reference to the Lehigh Valley Railroad,[1] not to the school's academic engineering program.[2] However, there was also a logo of a giant Lehigh Engineer looking through a surveyor's transit while an airliner flew over him and a diesel passenger train steamed beneath his feet in use at Lehigh during the 1950s and 60s. As the university expanded following the advent of coeducation in 1971, while the number of engineering students remained steady, the percentage of students enrolled in engineering declined from 50% to about 30%. As a result, during the school's 1988 appearance in the men's NCAA basketball tournament, TV commentators were encouraged to refer to the school by its colors, Brown and White.
        Beginning in the 1980s and until 1995, the team used a logo of a train locomotive with an "L" on the front. In November 1995, the school introduced the Mountain Hawk as a mascot, replacing the "L train", which stemmed from a popular, student-based movement to come up with a suitable mascot; the Mountain Hawk was officially voted in as the new mascot by the Lehigh Student Senate soon after.[3] Controversy arose the following year, when the school's nickname was changed to the Mountain Hawks. Many alumni and students, including various members of Lehigh's Marching 97, still object, though the school's athletes were cited as being strong supporters of this change.[4] The school still lists all three nicknames (Engineers, Brown & White, and Mountain Hawks) in its media guides. In November 2008, just before the 144th game against Lafayette, the mascot was given the name "Clutch." The name was chosen after a long contest of name suggestions and voting.
        Last edited by Eagle Road; 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

She probably hit you for an extra $75 service charge

Comment

Working...
          X