Would you trade Jordan Matthews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thegodfather View Post
    No he is the only receiver who catch the ball and make something happen.
    He can catch? When did this happen?

Comment

How many drops do you think Matthews had this year?
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
        How many drops do you think Matthews had this year?
        In retrospect, when you see it on the stat sheet, it really doesn't seem so bad. He consistently drops about 5% of his passes, which works out to around 5 or 6 a year. It doesn't look great compared to guys like Jeffrey, Jordy Nelson, or Antonio Brown, who usually drop 1 or 2 a year, but it shouldn't be the end of the world to drop a pass every three games or so.

Are we just hyper-critical fans who habitually overstate our players' flaws, or are they really bad drops? Serious question, I don't know the answer.

Comment

They were dropping so many balls as a team last year that his got lost in the clutter for me ... I just decided to take a look at the stats and had the same reaction you did.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
            They were dropping so many balls as a team last year that his got lost in the clutter for me ... I just decided to take a look at the stats and had the same reaction you did.
            I wonder about the methodology. On the same list, Agholor only dropped 4 of 69 targets (5.8%). How is that possible? Didn't he have three drops in the Chicago game (Week 2) alone??

Comment

I didn't see that ... there is no way he dropped only 4 balls last year.

Comment

Unfortunately, no can do. Agholor, DGB and fill in the blanks could set Wentz back another season. Matthews may be meh but he's the best meh they've got.

Also I expect Matthews will take a reasonable offer to stay in Philly. He knows he's a 2/3 WR. No one will pay him more.
                Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

for an email from a Nigerian Prince

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  If a team offered a future 2nd round pick?

I just read a blurb that the Ravens are looking for a possession receiver, and I also think Matthews doesn't really have a future with the Eagles beyond this season.

He will want to get paid, and if the Eagles make a splash FA WR signing and draft a WR early, Matthews will be the odd man out. I say make a deal now if you can get some value.
                  And a statement on the subject of why I like Chef Boy R Dee spaghetti in 25 words or less.
                  DB

Comment

The Eagles cant afford to be too cute right now. Matthews is the only legit starting receiver they have making wide receiver a major weakness. Trading starters away because youre not likely to resign them at their future asking price is usually bad business in the nfl since the Eagles would get a mid round compensatory pick if another team signed him away. Having Matthews for another season plus a mid round pick is more valuable to this franchise than simply a future mid to late second round selection.
                    "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
                      The Eagles cant afford to be too cute right now. Matthews is the only legit starting receiver they have making wide receiver a major weakness. Trading starters away because youre not likely to resign them at their future asking price is usually bad business in the nfl since the Eagles would get a mid round compensatory pick if another team signed him away. Having Matthews for another season plus a mid round pick is more valuable to this franchise than simply a future mid to late second round selection.
                      Agree with this.
                      --------
                      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                        Unfortunately, no can do. Agholor, DGB and fill in the blanks could set Wentz back another season. Matthews may be meh but he's the best meh they've got.

Also I expect Matthews will take a reasonable offer to stay in Philly. He knows he's a 2/3 WR. No one will pay him more.
                        I agree with your first thought. I don't know about the second about staying in Phila. but it may be correct as well.
                        --------

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
                          I wonder about the methodology. On the same list, Agholor only dropped 4 of 69 targets (5.8%). How is that possible? Didn't he have three drops in the Chicago game (Week 2) alone??
                          I don't know the specifics, but the methodology has to be a little subjective.

Like for example, suppose a receiver is "targeted" but the pass is a sh*t pass or uncatchable. You could mark that down as a drop if you wanted to.

This sort of thing is subjective. Maybe we all need to keep our own alternative stats we can use as talking points. One thing we all agree on is the Eagles' WRs are not good.
                          --------

Comment

Level of Agreement 75%

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
                            I see the value in holding on to what you know you already have. However, from my understanding they don't just get compensatory picks when guys leave. I think it's based on net free agent losses. So, if Matthews goes, but they sign two other guys, then no pick (or lower comp pick).

I would hope that move to deal Matthews would be after they get what need in FA and then if they draft a WR in Round 1 or 2. Again-lots of "what ifs" but would you rather get nothing for Matthews and/or play the compensatory pick lottery, or deal him once you had a Jeffrey-Britt-Williams/Davis WR lineup?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              I see the value in holding on to what you know you already have. However, from my understanding they don't just get compensatory picks when guys leave. I think it's based on net free agent losses. So, if Matthews goes, but they sign two other guys, then no pick (or lower comp pick).

I would hope that move to deal Matthews would be after they get what need in FA and then if they draft a WR in Round 1 or 2. Again-lots of "what ifs" but would you rather get nothing for Matthews and/or play the compensatory pick lottery, or deal him once you had a Jeffrey-Britt-Williams/Davis WR lineup?
                              The formula for comp picks is unknown to the general public. I believe it is based upon salaries, but I could be wrong.

I don't see much value in trading Matthews this year.

It's sort of a contradiction. If he sucks he has no trade value. If he is a decent player the Eagles should keep him.

If he is a perfect fit for another team and you get great value in return that is another thing.
                              --------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                                I agree with your first thought. I don't know about the second about staying in Phila. but it may be correct as well.
                                I don't know if the Eagles will make an offer. They'll probably try a lowball extemsion. I don't get the impression he's looking to break the bank - a la Maclin. Could be wrong but thats my read on him.

In any case, I can't see dealing the only serviceable WR on the team for a future 2nd.

Got to keep him.
                                Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Working...
                                X