Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how is LA supposed to support two teams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help me understand

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
    I've lived in Pasadena for most of my life. It's a horrible location for an NFL team because it's not central to anything. Most people who live south, west, and maybe even east of LA would not be willing to make that commute.
    Im not talking about a permanent home, just as a way station for say the Cardinals when they moved, or the Oilers, or the Browns (ravens). Those teams all moved into temporary digs and ultimately got their new stadiums. And what about Ref's population argument? If that many people cant be "inconvenienced" you and he are kind of making my point.

Look, I'm not rooting for the NFL to fail in LA. I make fun of LA from time to time but there is no doubt it is a GREAT city and area. LA will just have to prove it to me it can sustain two teams.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Comment

I mean

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
      Im not talking about a permanent home, just as a way station for say the Cardinals when they moved, or the Oilers, or the Browns (ravens). Those teams all moved into temporary digs and ultimately got their new stadiums. And what about Ref's population argument? If that many people cant be "inconvenienced" you and he are kind of making my point.

Look, I'm not rooting for the NFL to fail in LA. I make fun of LA from time to time but there is no doubt it is a GREAT city and area. LA will just have to prove it to me it can sustain two teams.
      it's just about common sense for where to build a stadium. The Coliseum would probably make a better way station than the Rose Bowl just for its location. The Rams' Inglewood project makes sense because it's right next to LAX. People would be far less willing to drive a little further out to Carson (The site of the Raiders-Chargers proposal).

And I agree with you about the fans. LA fans are delusional fair weather front runners so that's why they have to get this right. Unlike Ref I will never support an LA team. Why is this guy even still here?

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
        If you really want to know, I'll tell you. The stadiums here are a century old. They were outdated 40 years ago. Additionally they were the last of the civically owned stadiums. Cleveland owned there's up until the Browns left for Baltimore. Which is a similar case to LA. The NFL team does not get any stadium revenue when it is civically owned. Not even naming rights, let alone personal seat licenses, etc. Essentially you cannot conduct modern NFL business that way. Additionally, LA was never in the habit of financing a project for a private business. We just don't do that shit here. Political suicide to even suggest it.

The Rams tried to move to Anaheim but that's doing NFL business out of a baseball stadium, where you're the tenant. Still a shitty deal. Off to St Louis they went and you could hardly blame them. Georgia wasn't a billionaire, she was a black widow who inherited the team, never liked So Cal, and moved back to her home town. Can't blame her even though I would like to.

There's 10 million people in LA County now. That's more than the population of some entire divisions in the NFL. There's interest. Always has been. It's been the stadiums all along and who could pony up the dough to build their own. One thing's for sure, the Rams will double in value in short order. Kroenke's already ahead. And the Rams are the area fan's choice. Rosey Grier is still alive and am awaiting his reaction soon.

edited to add - back when the Raiders played there, the Coliseum held 120,000 fans. When 72,000 show up the place looked half empty.
        Best Georgia quote ever, (when asked if she felt bad for all the Ram fans in L.A. when they went to the Super Bowl in St. Louis) "They can watch it on t.v. just like they always have."

Comment

LA will just have to prove it to me it can sustain two teams.
          The league said all along that they wanted AFC represented in SoCal and didn't care if the Chargers were in SD or LA. Now they gave the Chargers the choice

We'll see if Chargers choose to stay home in SD or pony up $550 million to be Kroenke's bitch

I don't think LA will support the Chargers; but they will be all over the Rams
          just one man's opinion. And this palace in Inglewood is going to be a year round NFL Experience and entertainment district.
          They are going to market the hell out of it.

Comment

The Raiders are definitely the area fans choice.
            Yup.
            And that's part of why the league wouldn't give LA to the Raiders...the old guard owners didn't want "those" people inhabiting their shiny new palace.

Comment

Do you think London gets a team before St. Louis? I think that would be mcmahon's next big move. Jags would make sense. Owner is from overseas.

Sucks for the rams fans. Hate it for them but I've always felt the Rams belong in LA and the cardinals belong in The Lou.

Comment

good enough for multiple Super Bowls but not as a way station for an NFL franchise in the last 20 years?

Just trying to understand here. That is an entire generation that grew up with no NFL team.
                The Rose Bowl is a college stadium. Not even a single sky box. Opened in 1922 and hardly changed. Different era, IG. Preservationists declared it a historic building. Wrap it in amber. It's a really cool place. You might love it. But Jesus christ you can't run an NFL game out of there. Not in the 21st century.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
                  Do you think London gets a team before St. Louis? I think that would be mcmahon's next big move. Jags would make sense. Owner is from overseas.

Sucks for the rams fans. Hate it for them but I've always felt the Rams belong in LA and the cardinals belong in The Lou.
                  He tried to buy the Rams before he bought the Jags...maybe he'd be ok with moving them to St. Louis.

Comment

I went to the old Forum

and even in the 80s that was a worse neighborhood than the Bronx. What's it like now?
                    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                    May 7, 2010

Comment

Well, we can't have clutter can we?
                      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I disagree. The Raiders are definitely the area fans choice.
                        hahaha. Not the los angeles fans who have any disposable income. Support for the Rams is off the charts compared to the boorish thugs and gangsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post

I wonder if Toronto might as well but the logical move would be the Bills.
                          --
                          Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                            Well, we can't have clutter can we?
                            Nope, no clutter. And I read that the league is pushing to re-brand the Raiders to downplay their rebel image and "colorful" fans. Good luck

But the owners do love new revenue streams...Andrew Brandt offers his views

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/12/l...uis-relocation

"Toward that end, Stan Kroenke presented the best proposal for those who vote with their wallet. Although Kroenke is an enigma who rarely attends owners’ meetings or league functions, his $11 billion net worth—between him and his wife, from the Walton (WalMart) family—endears him to owners wanting the most resources to lift the overall league brand.
                            His supporters include “new money” owners such as Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, Stephen Ross, Woody Johnson and Jeffrey Lurie. And ultimately, business won out over sentimentality. Unless anyone hasn’t been paying attention, these NFL owners are ruthless and unflinching when it comes to chasing all possible revenue streams".

Comment

Working...
                            X