Best internal candidate for OC is Mike Groh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best internal candidate for OC is Mike Groh

He was a big contributor to the SB game planning. Reich and Peterson did the grunt work for game planning throughout the year but I think Groh was right there, too. Doug is going to need another brain trust to help do the grunt work. Maybe Duce, but I’m not finding anything about his contributions to game planning.

The other option is external, IMO.

Agree with this, I like that it keeps the QB room strong.

I’m not sure why everyone is so enamored with the idea of Duce Staley for OC just because he was well liked as a player.

I love Duce but if he wants to be an OC I would prefer it be somewhere else.

Comment

We don’t know if Duce is producing valuable grunt work for game planning. You have to be that kind of guy though as an OC. Especially for Doug since he is the play caller and game planner. He needs another set of eyes.

Comment

Or he just doesn’t appoint one but similar to other teams in the league has a running game coordinator and a passing game coordinator. That’s what Groh was with the Rams.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
          We don’t know if Duce is producing valuable grunt work for game planning. You have to be that kind of guy though as an OC.
          What do you theorize he's been doing for the team? Patting guys on the butt all week? Of course he does Xs and Os. And managing egos in that running back rotation couldn't have been easy.

Most OCs have QB coordinator experience so it's likely they go that way. But it wouldn't surprise me if they go with Duce either. Groh's flamed out as an OC in the past. And I havent seen anything about either of them being Doug's bible study buddy like Reich was.

In any case, it's clearly a collaborative effort under Pedersen so titles may not matter much. Hell, it looked like Foles dialed up the Philly Special.

It would be annoying to see Duce go to the Vags though so hopefully they throw him some more money and prevent that in any case.
          Last edited by Maniac; 02-13-2018, 09:42 AM.
          Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
            Groh's flamed out as an OC in the past.
            Where was that?

Pederson looks to be stuck between a rock and a hard place now. He already lost Flip and Reich and now he is gonna lose either Groh or Duce. One guy already has an offer on the table from NY and Reich is almost certain to try and pry Groh away if Groh isnt named OC.

Its gonna come down to who Pederson values more so its basically 50/50 that Duce is gone as of today.

#superbowlchampproblems
            "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
              Where was that?
              Virginia. His dad fired him!

He's had kind of a vagabond career. Not unusual for coaches I suppose. Five or six stops in the last eight years. Mostly lateral moves. Some due to head coach changes. And there was the jump to the NFL in there. Hard to judge his impact with the Eagles considering they added Jeffery and Smith. Agholor was obviously much improved but he was also third year and switched to the slot where he was much more suited. But no question, Groh was a huge step up from Greg Lewis and a great addition to the staff.

Also I'm not so sure what Duce is thinking after reading this article ...

“If you have those ambitions, and you don’t think it’s going to happen for you, and you want to expedite the process, as a running backs coach, then you’ve got to try to become a quarterbacks coach,” Staley said. “And then you’ve got to try to become a coordinator. There are ways. You just have to move if that’s your ultimate goal, if you’re chasing it. I’m not chasing it.”
              Sounds to me like he's not averse to staying as RB coach. And the Gnats haven't offered him a job yet. I don't think they've even interviewed him. Or asked for permission.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tor/329164002/

Matt Rhule and Mike Kafka are other names I've seen. Kafka would be an amusing choice. Another former Eagle backup QB!
              Last edited by Maniac; 02-13-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyuk View Post
                Or he just doesn’t appoint one but similar to other teams in the league has a running game coordinator and a passing game coordinator. That’s what Groh was with the Rams.
                That would make sense to me. I don't think either one is completely viable on their own (yet), but establishing co-coordinator roles as advisors to Doug The Playcaller seems like a win-win.

Comment

I think I read the Eagles can block the Vagiants if they want.
                  Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                    I think I read the Eagles can block the Vagiants if they want.
                    Can they block a hire or just an interview?
                    --
                    Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                      Can they block a hire or just an interview?
                      They can block the hire which I suppose makes the interview moot. I suspect they wouldn't if Duce wanted the job and they don't move him up to Eagles OC. Hard to say though considering they've already lost two top coaches.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelph...ants-114982957
                      Last edited by Maniac; 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I’m like a ring leader, I call the shots

Comment

Working...
                        X