i miss the 'buzz' of the start of training camp at Lehigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i miss the 'buzz' of the start of training camp at Lehigh

I just don't care as much now that all the practices are closed, reporters aren't given acces, fans aren't giving as much play by play, and there aren't 10k + people in attendance every day.

It sucks so many teams have retreated from the colleges to the privacy of their own facilities. Just doesn't excite me like it used to when they went to Lehigh.
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 07-21-2017, 10:12 AM.

It Sux big time

loved the pilgrimage to Lehigh, the fan interaction, the heat,,,was a lot of fun.
    OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
    "BFTR"

Comment

At least the money saved by keeping it in house has resulted in lower ticket and concession prices.
      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I miss making the trip and hanging with the board peeps.
        Then hitting the hole in the wall bars. One year patrock and I hit a home run with Playas hanging out at the bar we were at.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
          I just don't care as much now that all the practices are closed, reporters aren't given acces, fans aren't giving as much play by play, and there aren't 10k + people in attendance every day.

It sucks so many teams have retreated from the colleges to the privacy of their own facilities. Just doesn't excite me like it used to when they went to Lehigh.
          Less film for other teams.

Comment

WENT TO WEST CHESTER FOR MANY YEARS AND LEHIGH. THAT YEAR WHEN T.O. WAS SIGNED WAS A ZOO. I THINK 25,000 SHOWED UP SOME DAYS.
            NO INTEREST IN GOIN TO SOUTH PHILLY.
            "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Good thing bc ther are only two opportunities for you to even do so.

Two! How are iggle fans rewarded after 7-8 months of no eagle access? Two goddamned opportunities to watch the dream team practice at the Linc.
              http://m.philadelphiaeagles.com/news...1-20225413c556

Lurie screwed up. I wouldn't move my team away from a college campus and the old school style of camp unless forced To by NFL policy.

Edited to add: it's not just Lurie and the Eagles. Ditching the intimate settings of college campuses and allowing full time access for fans has become almost universally adopted across the league and I think it's tragic. Feel bad for kids in those communities. the majority of them that's their only opp to see NFL players and get that exposure Hen they're on break all summer.
              Last edited by Ellsworth; 07-22-2017, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Good thing bc ther are only two opportunities for you to even do so.

Two! How are iggle fans rewarded after 7-8 months of no eagle access? Two goddamned opportunities to watch the dream team practice at the Linc.
                http://m.philadelphiaeagles.com/news...1-20225413c556

Lurie screwed up. I wouldn't move my team away from a college campus and the old school style of camp unless forced To by NFL policy.

Edited to add: it's not just Lurie and the Eagles. Ditching the intimate settings of college campuses and allowing full time access for fans has become almost universally adopted across the league and I think it's tragic. Feel bad for kids in those communities. the majority of them that's their only opp to see NFL players and get that exposure Hen they're on break all summer.
                I miss the old training camps. I think the public ones are over for three reasons.

The teams feel they don't need the publicity anymore (also the possibility of bad publicity).

They save money by using their own training facilities (which are probably better than anything they would use at a college).

It makes it more difficult for other teams to spy on things. I'm sure this has happened in the past.

You are completely correct, the buzz associated with training camp is not there the way it was in the past.
                --------
                "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I CAN REMEMBER TAKING MY GODSON AND NEPHEW TO WEST CHESTER. THEY HAD A BLAST. THEY KEPT TRYING TO GET REGGIE AND RANDALL'S AUTOGRAPH, BUT UNFORTUNATELY, JUST COULD NOT GET CLOSE ENOUGH.
                  NOT SURE WHO ELSE THEY GOT TO SIGN THEIR IGGLES PENNANTS, GOT A FEW THOUGH.
                  THEY STILL TALK ABOUT GOING AND HOW HOT IT WAS.
                  THEM DAYS ARE LONG GONE.

EDIT.... WHICH IN TURN HAS ALREADY HURT PRO SPORTS. KIDS DON'T HAVE THE CONNECTION THAT WE ALL HAD GROWING UP. THE FEELING OF BEING OUT THERE WITH THE PLAYERS, BURNING UP, SWEATING YOUR ASS OFF. THEN EACH WEEK, WATCHING ON THE TUBE, OR ON THE FIELD, THE PLAYERS YOU GOT A HAND SHAKE AND A SMILE FROM.
                  Last edited by DEERSPINE GUY; 07-22-2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleFanInMD View Post
                    I miss making the trip and hanging with the board peeps.
                    Then hitting the hole in the wall bars. One year patrock and I hit a home run with Playas hanging out at the bar we were at.
                    SOME USED TO HANG AT COPPERHEADS..

Comment

Agreed. Boxing used to put great fights on CBS, ABC for free on weekends. Baseball playoffs started early enough that kids on east coast could actually watch it before having to go to bed.

Novel concepts.

Comment

only made it to WC a couple times

Lehigh was just a lot closer..i did get some major sunburn at westchester one year, 90 or 91
                        OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                        "BFTR"

Comment

Agreed. Boxing used to put great fights on CBS, ABC for free on weekends. Baseball playoffs started early enough that kids on east coast could actually watch it before having to go to bed.

Novel concepts.
                          YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT ANY PRO PLAYOFFS, MAKIN DAT TV MONEY TAKING THE FUN AWAY FOR THE KIDDOS.
                          SOON, REAL SOON, KIDS WON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT PRO SPORTS.

Comment

I remember going to Albright in Redding with my father in the early 70's. Some god awful teams there.

Comment

Working...
                            X