USMNT: Donovan Not In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
    So now I have multiple teams/countries I would like to win, and also lots of teams/countries I want to lose. So I don't live and die with one team like I do with the Eagles.
    KG would not approve. You sound like an anti-xenophobe. Repent!

Personally I think not taking Donovan--at least for his experience--is a mistake, but I guess Klinsmann has earned the benefit of the doubt for now. The decision is not that surprising given his view of Donovan over the past couple years.

Comment

For tradition alone you take him. Experienced as they come in the US. His 1st game back last summer they went off. Biggest American star. I seriously doubt the 23rd player will make too much of a difference. makes me want to watch the World Cup a little less. He had played in every one I'd ever watched. Should have gotten 1 last hurrah.

Comment

It's the U.S. Mint.

Where they make the money.

Comment

Not that surprising ... as someone else said ... there is still no cure for the common birthday.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Frank Lampard is 35 and he's going to Brazil for England. Donovan's the kind of player you need for 30 minutes in a tight game.

Comment

Maybe Klinsmann has a cushy college job waiting for him also?

Comment

PS - actually, someone on ESPN already speculated he had the cojones to do this because he got that 4-year extension.

Comment

He's like Chip in one respect -- he better be right.

Comment

Maybe he's making the same play Kelly did and sending the same message that he's the top dog.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                      Maybe he's making the same play Kelly did and sending the same message that he's the top dog.
                      A crusty old German acting like a hard-ass ? Sounds about right

Not sure on the WC rules, but can they add Landon back to the roster at a later date if they wanted to ?

Comment

I believe he's on the standby list that allows him to be called in case of injury.

EDITED TO ADD: I did not see this officially, but I heard an interview with Klinsmann in which he said, after going on about how hard the decision was, that Donovan would be the first call he made if someone got hurt.

So I figure he's on the list.
                        Last edited by slag; 05-23-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Klinsman knows he's in a very tough group, and bringing in Landon at a later date might be just the motivation/inspiration the team needs

Good coaches are masters at poking sticks and motivating guys

Comment

I just saw on PTI that Klinsmann's son tweeted (which he later tried to take down):

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... Donovan ... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA"

or some shit like that.

The back story (which I did not know) is that Klinsmann apparently thinks Donovan cost him his job at Bayern Munich when Klinsmann was coaching that team.

Which raises the possibility that this is some fucked up petty shit.

And, thus, as RSE said he better be right about the soccer part of it.

Comment

You are correct on the back story. Klinsmann lobbied Bayern management to bring Landon over on loan in 2009. Donovan didn't pan out; management questioned Klinsmann and then sacked him a few months later. They both claim it's water under the bridge but you have to wonder.

Comment

He might also not have liked...

Donovan taking a break from the sport as the US was in the midst of world cup qualifiers.
                                John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Working...
                                X