• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah europe, japan a whole different story

We suck at mass transit
    "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Montreal ... now this was awhile ago, was so fucking quiet compared to NY that I was looking at the schedule on the wall and didn't realize the train had come into the station until the doors dinged open.
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
        The New Yorker had an article about the two missing people and how the fire made the loss of that store Love Saves the Day even more impactful.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/sar...-saves-the-day

If I was in the area for whatever, I used to go to San Loco across the street, get a couple of burritos and a Corona and then go into Love Saves the Day and browse ... occasionally buying a vintage toy for my kids.

At least I can still get the burrito.
        Wow, I forgot that store was at that location. Like I said earlier, I was in Queens last night and I was mentioning to my compaņera that a lot of the areas in Manhattan are starting to lose the small and unique businesses that gave them their charm.
        --------
        "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
          Montreal ... now this was awhile ago, was so fucking quiet compared to NY that I was looking at the schedule on the wall and didn't realize the train had come into the station until the doors dinged open.
          I haven't been to Montreal in years, but from the last time I visited I believe the subway trains there run on rubber wheels.
          --------

Comment

In all seriousness, I do like an occasional visit to NYC. It has an interesting vibe, but I couldn't take more than a few days. A bus trip or a train ride is my preferred transport to the city. I don't mind driving through most cities, but I never want to drive in Manhattan.

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
              We suck at mass transit
              Barcelona is excellent as well.
              --------

Comment

Haha whenever we go for pleasure

By car, wifey drives!
                "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Not one fuckin smorgasbord
                  John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Philly's might be the worst I've been in. Riding that for a year and a half was torture. Smells so bad. Makes NY Subway seem like the botanical gardens.

Of course the drive to Lancaster has been a nasal adventure this last week or so as the Amish are laying manure.
                    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I believe that's right.

Comment

I thought, having driven around the NYC area for years, I could never be presented with a driving situation I couldn't handle ... until I tried to get a rental off the circle around the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.

I barely avoided three accidents ... had to just say "Fuckez it" and get off at whatever exit I could work my way to and let the GPS take me to the highway without going back there.

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                          Checked out Boston's the other week - wow
                          For me, the NYC subway system Is pretty awesome.

Got to Queens in 15-20 minutes last night.

Seriously we have these mass transit lines running under some of the most valuable real estate in the world. The fact that this real estate sits on top of mass transit is a big part of why it is so valuable.

If we spent more money on our transit it would be better. Unfortunately the people who own the most valuable real estate in the world don't want to pay taxes and they own the politicians so it's all on everyone else.
                          --------

Comment

I found the subways in NYC awesome! Really efficient and easy to use. Incredible how many lines are running under Manhattan.
                            Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

I WILL Admit One Thing

There is one city that is worse than New York, where the people are ruder and FAR more obnoxious to strangers -- people visiting from other areas who have never been there and might have to ask a question.

Pittsburgh. I'd go back to New York to see a Broadway show or some of the other tourist destinations, but Pittsburgh?

Only because our oldest granddaughter will be attending Pitt starting in the fall.

Heaven help me, however, if I have to ask directions.
                              "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Don't EVER Try To Insinuate I Would Criticize Fire Fighters!!

I come from a family of fire fighters -- volunteer but the same brotherhood. I was a volunteer fireman myself. In the 1930s my grandfather and his five sons used to man one of the town's two fire trucks and the family next door -- another dad and five sons -- manned the other. Other firefighters who showed up after the trucks left went in their cars.

You screwed the pooch on that one, Sparky.
                                "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Working...
                                X