Airline Travel Etiquette Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline Travel Etiquette Question

So unless I'm in the back row, I never ever recline my seat. Reason? Because I feel like it's rude to the people in back of me. Been doing this for years. Now it's to the point where when someone in front of me reclines, I sort of can't believe how rude they are.

I'm wrong here, aren't I?
    DB

Nope. People who recline are just inconsiderate assholes.

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
    So unless I'm in the back row, I never ever recline my seat. Reason? Because I feel like it's rude to the people in back of me. Been doing this for years. Now it's to the point where when someone in front of me reclines, I sort of can't believe how rude they are.

I'm wrong here, aren't I?
    I usually just plant my knee in their back for the duration.
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

I'm the same way in coach

Business class long work flights is a different story.

Sort of unrelated but here's something else I've been doing recently - since I rarely have a carryon I wait until the last minute to board, and kind of like disappointing people that think no one is sitting next to them. Is that being a dick?
      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Have you found some airline where the seats actually recline more than about an inch and a half? Otherwise, I don't think it's rude at all.

Comment

Nah ... I put it right there with the guy next to you trimming his toenails.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I'm with OB on this

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
            Business class long work flights is a different story.

Sort of unrelated but here's something else I've been doing recently - since I rarely have a carryon I wait until the last minute to board, and kind of like disappointing people that think no one is sitting next to them. Is that being a dick?
            And nobody but nobody expects an empty seat next to them unless you are on the first-thing-in-the-am flight.

I hate this carryon madness that the airlines have caused by charging for checked bags. Insanity. Everyone lines up for a place in line so that they get to put something up above.
            DB

Comment

I could do dental work

Originally posted by ex-press View Post
              Have you found some airline where the seats actually recline more than about an inch and a half? Otherwise, I don't think it's rude at all.
              On the person in front of me when they recline. The pitch is so short now they don't have to recline a lot to be a pain.
              DB

Comment

Yep ... the countermove is to fuck around with the back seat pocket and keep opening and closing the tray table etc.
                Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Slapping the computer open

Originally posted by slag View Post
                  Yep ... the countermove is to fuck around with the back seat pocket and keep opening and closing the tray table etc.
                  And banging away on it is always an irritant too. Passive aggressive, just my style.
                  DB

Comment

Totally agree.
                    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

haha... I'll employ the old knee shiv

Nm

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
                        And nobody but nobody expects an empty seat next to them unless you are on the first-thing-in-the-am flight.
                        My flights for fishing/hunting trips are to more out of the way destinations so flights are rarely full

Comment

I agree it's rude to recline your seat, especially if you don't look back to check on the person behind you if you attempt to do so.

I can understand it a little more when on overnight flights when people might want to sleep.

But I blame the airlines for this more than anyone.

As for me, if I'm going on an overseas flight, now I just usually say f*ck it and pay for a seat with more leg room. I don't care about the food or service in business/first class so much but I do care about leg room.

On my last flight back from Madrid in January, I had a seat with NO seat in front of me! It was awesome! Pure unlimited leg room! Excellent for a flight where I spent more than 9 hours on the airplane.
                          --------
                          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

That's why I usually volunteer to check my bag at the gate for free, especially if I'm in one of the later groups.

Comment

a lot of the business class seats

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                              I agree it's rude to recline your seat, especially if you don't look back to check on the person behind you if you attempt to do so.

I can understand it a little more when on overnight flights when people might want to sleep.

But I blame the airlines for this more than anyone.

As for me, if I'm going on an overseas flight, now I just usually say f*ck it and pay for a seat with more leg room. I don't care about the food or service in business/first class so much but I do care about leg room.

On my last flight back from Madrid in January, I had a seat with NO seat in front of me! It was awesome! Pure unlimited leg room! Excellent for a flight where I spent more than 9 hours on the airplane.
                              Are lay flat seats now, so they don't count I guess. Lufthansa's suck though, they're like a bed of concrete.
                              DB

Comment

Working...
                              X