Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dungy doesn't appear to be a fan of players that would cause distractions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dungy doesn't appear to be a fan of players that would cause distractions.

Hmm. Interesting.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...gs-will-happen

---
    "I wouldn't have taken him,'' Dungy told the Tampa Bay Tribune. “Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it.

"It's not going to be totally smooth ... things will happen."
    ---

I wonder if as a coach he would have taken Vick or Tebow - two players he's publicly supported. Maybe Sam just presents the "wrong" kind of distraction.
    Last edited by TerpEagle; 07-21-2014, 08:10 PM.
    --
    Your Retarded

Chip doesn't like players who walk on the front lawn. Everybody has their issues.
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

He also doesn't like players who "crip walk".
      500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post
        He also doesn't like players who "crip walk".
        Ahh, and he likes guys who say nigger, I forgot.

Going back to the point, this is different. Dungy has been a very vocal talking head about giving Vick, someone vilified in most corners, a second chance knowing that he'd be a major distraction. He's supported Tebow publicly - the biggest distraction in the NFL over the last 5 years.

But Michael Sam would just be too much of a distraction? I suppose from a merit/skill vs. distraction issue a case could be made but it's still weak coming from Dungy who has championed equal opportunities in the NFL.
        Last edited by TerpEagle; 07-21-2014, 08:23 PM.
        --
        Your Retarded

Comment

Of course there is always a risk/reward analysis. In Sam's case, the distraction factor is potentially really high and the talent factor is not projected to be particularly high. I'm glad the Eagles didn't draft him.
          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

This probably doesn't have any relevance...

does it?

"On March 20, 2007, Dungy aligned himself with a socially conservative organization, the Indiana Family Institute, and openly supported an amendment to the Indiana constitution which would have defined marriage as solely between one man and one woman."
            John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
              does it?

"On March 20, 2007, Dungy aligned himself with a socially conservative organization, the Indiana Family Institute, and openly supported an amendment to the Indiana constitution which would have defined marriage as solely between one man and one woman."
              This is why Dungy is full of shit. His comments are based on his chosen morality.

They're not based on an aversion to distractions. He's hiding behind a bullshit excuse instead of just saying that gay players don't belong in the NFL let alone gay people as 1st class citizens.
              Last edited by TerpEagle; 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM.
              --
              Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                Of course there is always a risk/reward analysis. In Sam's case, the distraction factor is potentially really high and the talent factor is not projected to be particularly high. I'm glad the Eagles didn't draft him.
                Better to be safe than sorry. That's a bold approach.
                --
                Your Retarded

Comment

You say Sam presents the "wrong kind of distraction", I'll throw my own dart and say maybe Tebow and Vick had/have talent worth the distraction and Sam simply does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
                    You say Sam presents the "wrong kind of distraction", I'll throw my own dart and say maybe Tebow and Vick had/have talent worth the distraction and Sam simply does not.
                    Well given the track records of Vick and Tebow would you say Dungy knows how to pick a distracting winner?

Dungy is hiding behind "distractions"

Just say he doesn't seem like a good player. Or just say he thinks gay men and the NFL don't mix (oh the irony given the history race integration in American sports). Don't bullshit about distractions when he's clearly not worried about them before.

His son killed himself and he won a Super Bowl the next year. Guess that wasn't a distraction like having an openly gay player on the team.
                    --
                    Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                      Well given the track records of Vick and Tebow would you say Dungy knows how to pick a distracting winner?

Dungy is hiding behind "distractions"

Just say he doesn't seem like a good player. Or just say he thinks gay men and the NFL don't mix (oh the irony given the history race integration in American sports). Don't bullshit about distractions when he's clearly not worried about them before.

His son killed himself and he won a Super Bowl the next year. Guess that wasn't a distraction like having an openly gay player on the team.
                      They also lost in the playoffs shortly after his son's death when they were favored to win it all, so that comparison is a tad bit off-base. I'm sure if you asked him, he'd also say he wouldn't want the distraction of his son dying.

I believe Tebow and Vick reached out to Dungy. Sam probably hasn't done the same. Maybe if they spoke and Dungy felt that Sam was only focused on football, he'd feel differently. A lot of coaches wouldn't want to deal with marginal talents that are going to cause a media frenzy. Doesn't make a difference though, since Dungy is no longer involved in any football operations.

Comment

Rock and a hard place

Dungy is painted into a corner by his religious beliefs. He's done a lot of work on behalf of Christian orgs, including the stuff Loki posted
                        If he says he would take Michael Sam, then his church, his affiliations, his sponsorships, charities etc all have to answer for that

If he says no he wouldn't, then he alone has to answer for that while endearing himself to the causes he believes in.

I don't like it one bit, and a completely disagree with that point of view. But I'm not sure how else a man of his religious background can answer that one.
                        Given the choice, I guess I'd rather piss off the internet than my church IF I held those beliefs to be true.

(And I'm as non-religious as they come)

Comment

I think Dungy is more than likely hiding behind some vague expressions. We can agree on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
                            I think Dungy is more than likely hiding behind some vague expressions. We can agree on that.
                            Dungy has been promoted/perceived as a man of integrity.

This makes him look like any other PR driven entertainer. No true conviction and contradicting his previous actions.
                            --
                            Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                              This makes him look like any other PR driven entertainer. No true conviction and contradicting his previous actions.
                              I dunno. I agree with PackWest on this. Dungy is a man of deep convictions; those convictions simply happen to be rooted in his religion.

Dungy endorsed Michael Vick because Christians believe that true repentance should lead to forgiveness. He supported Tebow because....well, because It's What Jesus Would Do.

For some deeply religious people, drafting Sam was not a step towards equality, it was an endorsement of a deviant lifestyle. It doesn't make Dungy a bad person, it just means some of his beliefs will stem from a system of morality many people (myself included) can't really understand.

To be clear: I totally disagree with Dungy on this issue. However, I can disagree with him and still think he's a good person.

Comment

Working...
                              X