Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conf. (c) to Kelly Green

As you would say, ~snip~

Running is undoubtedly great for your health, but some research suggests that when it comes to pounding the pavement, too much of a good thing might actually have the opposite effect.

A number of earlier studies have suggested that people who run more than 20 miles a week or at an average pace of 7.5 mph or faster are more likely to have shorter lifespans than those who run slower over shorter distances. In other words, when "increasing mileage and pace, the benefits of running seem to disappear," cardiologist Martin Matsumara told The Huffington Post over the phone this week. "[These studies suggest that] running fast and far may be toxic to the heart in some way."
    Unfortunately, though:

In the meantime, Matsumara says that people should absolutely not stop running. "Runners in general enjoy longer and better health," he said.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ef=mostpopular

Uh oh

Looks like I better slow down from my 6 min mile pace
    "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Out here we have knuckleheads who run downhill on hard fire road pavement in the canyons. Cracks me up. I can understand when 20 something kids do that. Young knees. When middle agers are running hard down hill I think they're idiots. My knees ache sympathetically just watching them.

On the other hand, running uphill is Jerry Rice style intensity. Don't see many people trying that.
      Last edited by The Ref; 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Running downhill backwards is Riccardo style intensity

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
        Out here we have knuckleheads who run downhill on hard fire road pavement in the canyons. Cracks me up. I can understand when 20 something kids do that. Young knees. When middle agers are running hard down hill I think they're idiots. My knees ache sympathetically just watching them.

On the other hand, running uphill is Jerry Rice style intensity. Don't see many people trying that.
        Riccardo is a workout fag.

Comment

usually you have to run uphill to go downhill

The trail I run starts with a 400 ft climb the first 1.2 miles. Last two miles are mostly downhill but pretty gradual

Comment

Really?

"Runners in general enjoy longer and better health."

Yeah -- it did a world of good for all-time running guru Jim Fixx...

"On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%."

Enjoy your daily runs, nimrod.
            "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

n = 1

And my grandfather lived to 93 and smoked cigarettes for more than 70 years, therefore smoking cigarettes is the key to long life

Comment

Working...
              X