Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the normal process

to get a reliever in the game?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this thing with Kapler. How could he have thought Milner was ready if he never called in to have him start throwing? I always thought the manager was in on that part of the process. Was he using so many relievers he couldn't keep track? This seems like something that might happen in little league.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that clubhouse...
    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Back in the 'old' days the pitching coach usually came out first to talk to a pitcher and give the 'pen time to warm up. Prior to going out the pitching coach called the 'pen to get said reliever going. Then if things didn't improve the pitching coach called the 'pen to make sure the reliever was ready and then the mgr went out and made the change. With sabremetrics and GM involvement and mound visit limitations, I'm not really sure what purpose a pitching coach serves anymore other than compiling statistics. And clearly Kapler had little to no communication with anyone in this case to make such a bone-headed maneuver.

Comment

The manager (typically) makes the decision to warm a guy up, another person is designated to communicate that information and then subsequently makes the call to bring him in. It was really early in the game, but once Kapler makes the decision to change the lineup w/ the umpire, I believe the change is set in stone.

My guess is either he thought he was already up or told someone to get him up and that didn't occur. The second one is a "good on kapler" problem. But someone blew the line of communication.

Warming a guy up is a decision unto itself because, even as Kapler admits, those are reps which theoretically count towards a guy's limits over the course of a season. IIRC, in Kapler's book, you could warm up a lot, not log a single season, and still face a "pitch count" limit.

Comment

What a mess. You don't get the indication from Kapler's post game comments that he has any intention of changing anything. Yippeeee!
        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I honestly think it was a mistake

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
          What a mess. You don't get the indication from Kapler's post game comments that he has any intention of changing anything. Yippeeee!
          Either Kapler totally blanked or he's covering for someone or (most likely) communication from him to whoever was supposed to call the Pen got jammed up. It looks bad, but it's a mistake from a young management group - it is what it is.

the rest of it is what I'm concerned about Kapler not changing.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
            to get a reliever in the game?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this thing with Kapler. How could he have thought Milner was ready if he never called in to have him start throwing? I always thought the manager was in on that part of the process. Was he using so many relievers he couldn't keep track? This seems like something that might happen in little league.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that clubhouse...
            This guy seriously might not make it through his first season. It’s really really bad...21 pitchers in 3 games.

Comment

Working...
            X