Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donnel Pumphrey, RB - SDSU

OVERVIEW
    Pumphrey and Ron Dayne are now the top two rushers in FBS history, even though San Diego State's small and quick runner (listed at 5-foot-9, 180 pounds) couldn't be any different in style than the brutish former Heisman Trophy winner. Pumphrey beat the record in his final game, finishing off an All-American season where he led with nation with 2,133 rushing yards on 349 carries (tied for most in FBS) and 17 scores (along with 27-231 receiving). He won the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year this fall, repeating the honor he was given in 2015 for covering 1,653 yards and scoring 17 touchdowns on 309 carries. He also led the Aztecs with 28 receptions, accumulating 416 yards and three scores. Pumphrey set a school record with 1,867 yards while scoring 20 times as a sophomore, earning the first of three first-team All-Mountain West accolades. As a freshman, he only started one game but still had 256 totes for 1,244 yards and 15 touchdowns (with 22-234, two TD receiving).
    ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS Produced at high levels. Patient but decisive when he sees it. Accesses instant turbo burst. Rarely loses races to and around the edge. Plus vision creates ability to navigate shifting run creases like a seasoned veteran. Slaloms through traffic from side to side with seamless, tight jump cuts. Keeps tight track through the gaps, maintaining distance from defensive linemen. Able to string moves together. Razor-sharp cutbacks at challenging angles are his thing. Made a rare 90-degree cut out of a downhill run against South Alabama. Excels in outside zone but has courage to stick it between tackles. Extremely elusive in open field after catch. Used as matchup weapon out of backfield. Good route runner who creates necessary separation.
    WEAKNESSES Undersized. Lacks the leg thickness and overall physical strength desired out of an NFL running back. Spirit is willing but flesh is weak. Arm tackles are able to end his journey. Willing to accelerate into defender, but doesn't have the pop to break tackles or fall forward after contact. Quicker than fast. Will get caught from behind. Body catcher with average hands that lead to double catches. Too small to protect against NFL blitzers as third-down back.
    DRAFT PROJECTION Round 5-6
    SOURCES TELL US "I don't care how big he is, he's a good player. Look, he's tiny so you can't take him too early because there's risk in putting a skinny runner out there. You have to have an offense that makes sense for him but everyone I talk to on the road likes the talent. The size is going to be the only concern." -- AFC West scout
    NFL COMPARISON Tyler Ervin
    BOTTOM LINE Pumphrey is an efficient, natural back who runs with outstanding tempo and vision. Has outstanding agility and ability to disappear and leave tacklers grasping at air in open field. While he has good burst and quickness, he does lack the home-run speed expected from such small running backs. He won't even be an option for teams married to physical minimums, but there is a place on the roster for his talent provided he can become a return man or viable receiving option as well.
    Last edited by JuTMSY4; 04-29-2017, 01:26 PM.

welp...
    500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Boss ... de plane .. de plane!!!
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Smurf

Originally posted by slag View Post
        just what we needed Dowie
        OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
        "BFTR"

Comment

I like this pick but might be a bit biased. I think this guy can play - size obviously the concern we will see how he handles taking hits from NFL players.

Comment

Apparently they traded up because the Cowpukes were gonna take him

Comment

Nice!

Pumphrey broke Marshall Faulk's career rushing record at San Diego State
              YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Triple Dip View Post
                I like this pick but might be a bit biased. I think this guy can play - size obviously the concern we will see how he handles taking hits from NFL players.
                You probably are biased, given where you live and your exposure to the guy.

But sometimes smaller is better for RBs. More difficult to bring down.

Also, it's the late rounds so the risk is low. Risk/Reward ratio.
                --------
                "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Sproles part 2

Originally posted by slag View Post
                  Darren is shorter and 10 pounds heavier....put 5-7 more pounds on this kid he should work well in Pederson's offense
                  "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                    Darren is shorter and 10 pounds heavier....put 5-7 more pounds on this kid he should work well in Pederson's offense
                    Sproles is also much stronger.
                    "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Sproles repped 2 plates like 23 times while pumphery did 5

Comment

That's not good.

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
                        Sproles repped 2 plates like 23 times while pumphery did 5
                        ....unless Punky is going to be more of a slot reciever returner... Doesn't sound like he has the potential to break things like Sproles.
                        "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Working...
                        X