1 1/2 Celebrity Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/2 Celebrity Sightings

Ryan Howard in the lobby of a Denver hotel about a half hour ago. That guy is freaking huge and in shape. His guns scared me. He laughed when I told him not to go to St. Louis, but rather to stay in Philly. Although on second thought maybe a trade is better.

That TV guy "Murph" on the Phillies broadcasts tried to sell me on the five game win streak in the elevator. I wasn't convinced.
    DB

Jackie O walked past me leaving Doubleday on Fifth Avenue one summer Friday afternoon maybe 27-28 years ago. I'm convinced I'll never have a greater sighting ever.

Comment

Murph could well be the new Dave Spadaro.

Ryan Howard really isn't having a terrible season...yes he'll end up with bad advanced stat nerd numbers but he could end up with 30 HR which would be pretty cool. I've never questioned his commitment, but his career was derailed by his 2010 injury then completely fucked by his 2011 injury.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
        yes he'll end up with bad advanced stat nerd numbers
        You mean statistics?

Comment

When I first read it

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
          Ryan Howard in the lobby of a Denver hotel about a half hour ago. That guy is freaking huge and in shape. His guns scared me. He laughed when I told him not to go to St. Louis, but rather to stay in Philly. Although on second thought maybe a trade is better.

That TV guy "Murph" on the Phillies broadcasts tried to sell me on the five game win streak in the elevator. I wasn't convinced.
          I thought Ron Howard, but then the "huge and in shape" threw me.

Never heard of "murph"
          "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post

So who were the celebrities?
            I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
              You mean statistics?
              Not really. I'm talking advanced stats. Sabermetrics. Even when Howard was in his prime his numbers weren't very good in this category.

Comment

I'm talking advanced stats. Sabermetrics.
                So. Statistics.

Edited to add: People saw cracks in Howard's armor then. That is the point of advanced metrics - to show when first level statistics are misleading.

There was nothing wrong with Howard, but he's an imperfect player.
                Last edited by JuTMSY4; 05-19-2015, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                  So. Statistics.

Edited to add: People saw cracks in Howard's armor then. That is the point of advanced metrics - to show when first level statistics are misleading.

There was nothing wrong with Howard, but he's an imperfect player.
                  i know there were cracks in his armor then, but let's take the 2008 season when howard was 2nd in MVP voting and carried us through september. his WAR as 1.8. i fail to believe that his value didn't vastly exceed that number.

Comment

I think he means dorkametrics
                    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

i know there were cracks in his armor then, but let's take the 2008 season when howard was 2nd in MVP voting and carried us through september. his WAR as 1.8. i fail to believe that his value didn't vastly exceed that number.
                      WAR is such an odd stat. Who is the replacement player? "that guy"...."which guy"..."you know, the average guy"..."oh".

And the saberstats are sort of subjective. Just read that Brett Lawries overall defense was made to look better than it was because of a shift he was playing in shallow right field which made his range look that much better.

Flawed stats for flawed players mean....just more stuff to follow and use for fantasy teams.
                      “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

WAR is all-inclusive and provides a useful reference point for comparing players. WAR offers an estimate to answer the question, “If this player got injured and their team had to replace them with a freely available minor leaguer or a AAAA player from their bench, how much value would the team be losing?”
                        http://www.fangraphs.com/library/misc/war/

Comment

Working...
                        X