Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with all these Men of War at the Jersey shore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with all these Men of War at the Jersey shore?

My sister just posted a picture of one she saw on the beach in Stone Harbor. Pretty gross.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

One swam by while I was fishing on the 8th st Jetty in Avalon. Water temps warming. Species finding new places to live and following their food that keeps moving to new habitats. Everything is changing.

Comment

Got stung by one of those in Myrtle Beach last summer, my first time in the water down there. I didn't know whether to say shitfuck or fuckshit.

Comment

just saw this posted on Delaware Online.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ound/29788355/

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          My sister just posted a picture of one she saw on the beach in Stone Harbor. Pretty gross.
          Yeah, one washed up on 75th in Sea Isle today too. Yesterday a guy caught 3 or 4 sand sharks off the beach that were all around 3.5 to 4.5 ft long. I never saw sand sharks that big...

Comment

Originally posted by CCPete View Post
            Species finding new places to live and following their food that keeps moving to new habitats. Everything is changing.
            thanks to Chip ball

Comment

Ah, We're Heading To North Carolina In November

I imagine the water will be WAAAY too cold to take a dip but even if it's 85 degrees there is no way in HELL I'm gonna be shark bait!

Besides, with my luck we'll be dodging a hurricane!
              Last edited by Kelly Green; 07-07-2015, 03:02 AM.
              "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Green View Post
                I imagine the water will be WAAAY too cold to take a dip but even if it's 85 degrees there is no way in HELL I'm gonna be shark bait!

Besides, with my luck we'll be dodging a hurricane!
                most shark bites in the U.S. Are like a bad dog bite. And they are more likely to bite kids and woman, not big guys.

You're statistically way more likely to die on the drive there. People get so worked up over sharks. They are all around you in the water but rarely even take a taste.

Comment

Yeah, Right

Tell that to the nine or 10 people who have already been on the menu off the North Carolina coast.

I don't need to be told I'll probably get a few boo-boos if I drive my car into wall, so I don't do it. Same with cheating death in the ocean!

The heated pool at the resort will do quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Green View Post
                    Tell that to the nine or 10 people who have already been on the menu off the North Carolina coast.

I don't need to be told I'll probably get a few boo-boos if I drive my car into wall, so I don't do it. Same with cheating death in the ocean!

The heated pool at the resort will do quite nicely.
                    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...hit_all-t.html

That's just pa, 1100+ deaths, an all time low, in one year. The U.S. Typically has 2 to at most 10 shark fatalities in ALL our waters.

You can live scared, or you can live. I am in the water almost every day now that I quit my job. I have seen probably 100 sharks very close to me in the water in my life. Lot more in the 8 years I lived on the coast in NC. Still, if I'm going to be afraid, I should be much more afraid of the walk to the beach!

Now don't get me wrong, if that fucker is over six foot and isn't a hammerhead and I see it, I'm getting out of the water!

If the pool suits you fine, then enjoy big fella! If you do decide to take a dip in the great Atlantic, just avoid dusk and dawn, or if you see a lot of fish in the water. Fish are most active at those times, so hence so are the big men in the grey suit. What beach in North cacalak?
                    Last edited by udontknowme; 07-07-2015, 05:58 AM.

Comment

When I worked as a lifeguard on the Delaware shore we'd see a few that got in close every year (maybe there was a year when we didn't, I don't exactly remember but they did show up ... albeit rarely).

A guard I knew swam into one and got stung on the side of his face while he was working out one morning.

He wasn't a happy camper but it didn't kill him.
                      Last edited by slag; 07-07-2015, 07:17 AM. Reason: typo
                      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

KG, you should probably just stay home. The beach just isn't a safe place.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...acks/71251814/

From 1990 to 2006 there were 16 U.S. deaths due to falling in a hole at the beach, vs. 11 shark attack deaths.

Comment

I'll mime his response:

Holey shit!!!
                          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

OK, So It's A Small Chance Of Being Killed...

...but I don't relish the idea of giving up an arm or a leg simply because some nearsighted shark thought I was dinner!

Besides, I'd like to keep all 6 quarts of my blood right where it is, thank you!

Comment

Haha

And surely there are a 100 times more drownings
                              "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Working...
                              X