Are these people worthy of the HOF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these people worthy of the HOF?

I agree that most are not worthy and its becoming like all star games... watered down.

http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/...tm_term=Title1

Depends on your point of view

Is it the Hall of greatest players, or the Hall of Fame?

Bill Mazerowski was before my time, and not a great player by any stretch of the imagination. I still knew who he was. He was famous. He's in there for a single great deed, which is acceptable to me in rare cases.

Some of those guys also had long careers as broadcasters. Phil Rizzuto lived on through Seinfeld and Meatloaf. He was famous as a cultural icon and was highly recognizable for his entire life.

I hate the Yankees but still think Phil belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdBrawn View Post
      Is it the Hall of greatest players, or the Hall of Fame?

Bill Mazerowski was before my time, and not a great player by any stretch of the imagination. I still knew who he was. He was famous. He's in there for a single great deed, which is acceptable to me in rare cases.

Some of those guys also had long careers as broadcasters. Phil Rizzuto lived on through Seinfeld and Meatloaf. He was famous as a cultural icon and was highly recognizable for his entire life.

I hate the Yankees but still think Phil belongs.
      You have a good take on the subject, IMO.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

reggie miller and john elway are definitely HOFers.

era has to be taken into account when considering numbers, but lynn swann is a guy who is probably only in the HOF because of "fame," stemming from a few famous catches and 4 rings. if you're only taking greatness into account swann doesn't belong, but he could be one of the rare exceptions that birdbrawn stated.

basketball's hall of fame is kind of designed for that. that's why it's not called the NBA hall of fame. so even though bill walton didn't have much longevity, he belongs.

Comment

I know one thing, Eli Manning certainly is.

Comment

if The Snake ain't in....

Slackjaw ain't in either.

Comment

Eli has a lower career rating than both Jay Cutler and Matt Schaub

Comment

Originally posted by PSU View Post
                I know one thing, Eli Manning certainly is.
                Record #s of INTs = HOF

Comment

Eli is mostly famous as being a doofus with a huge rabbit foot in his pocket

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...ing_career.htm

Comment

Not a Cowboy fan in the least

but Aikman was one clutch MOFO in the playoffs and to put him on the list is bullshit.

Same with Swann. He didn't have the stats but the guy was a stud WR on a team that pounded the ball.
                    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
                      but Aikman was one clutch MOFO in the playoffs and to put him on the list is bullshit.

Same with Swann. He didn't have the stats but the guy was a stud WR on a team that pounded the ball.
                      You can hate a cowfucker, but if you keep it real, gotta give Aikman his props. That game where our line sacked him 11 times...never seen a qb take a beating like that and stay on the field.

Swann is a tougher call. I have no problem with him being a HOFer, but there are better players that aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdBrawn View Post
                        Eli has a lower career rating than both Jay Cutler and Matt Schaub

And John Elway has a much lower career rating than Chad Pennington. What's your point?

Eli is on pace to throw for 400+ career TDs and 55,000+ career passing yards. He's a HOF lock. There's no debate really.
                        Last edited by PSU; 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Point of Disagreement

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                          I agree that most are not worthy and its becoming like all star games... watered down.

http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/...tm_term=Title1
                          When you have to click four times just to get to the second guy on the list, Dimmy loses focus and starts wondering about the yahoo story about a woman having a traffic accident because she was masturbating.

https://gma.yahoo.com/rhode-island-b...opstories.html

Oh wait, my mistake. Here's the right story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar...040003371.html

Damn, that isn't it either. Now I've got it. Those crazy Brits.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/woman-plea...9.html#CV2HdSw
                          DB

Comment

No debate? Really?

Originally posted by PSU View Post
                            And John Elway has a much lower career rating than Chad Pennington. What's your point?

Eli is on pace to throw for 400+ career TDs and 55,000+ career passing yards. He's a HOF lock. There's no debate really.
                            He's has never been a top 5 QB for any season in his entire career. If it weren't for the two Super Bowls, he wouldn't even be in a HOF discussion. If he didn't play for a NY team, he still wouldn't be in the discussion, even with the Super Bowls.

Can't take anything away from him for the two Supes - he's clearly a Giants all-timer. That said, I can name 5 QB's currently playing who are easily more deserving (not in order)

1. Rothlisberger
                            2. Brees
                            3. Peyton Manning
                            4. Tom Brady
                            5. Aaron Rodgers

There are several more who it can be debated have also had better careers (discounting the Super Bowls)

Flacco
                            Romo
                            Ryan
                            Rivers

Shit - even McNabb's career numbers and performance is better than Eli's by a good margin, and you don't see anybody on this board arguing for him to be a HOF'er.

Eli has had 3 good seasons in his career, and outside of the two Super Bowl years, his playoff performance has been less than impressive and his regular seasons have been disasters.

Comment

i think eli will eventually be on the list of guys who made the HOF but didn't deserve it. jim plunkett is the only QB to win two super bowls without making the HOF and he was worse than eli. keep in mind that people like peter king vote for the HOF. i think his name recognition and rings will get him in. over time people will forget about him sucking and blame it on his team.

i also think hines ward will end up getting the lynn swann treatment, making it based off of name recognition and rings, keeping out more deserving receivers like isaac bruce.

Comment

Working...
                              X