No announcement yet.

Chiefs back out of Jackson sweepstakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy just did his former player a "favor" by feigning interest. If his former coach wouldn't touch him, that would speak volumes... It costs Andy nothing and potentially helps Djax and his current Scarlet letter.

Andy engaged in just enough due diligence to make it seem plausible, then bowed out before he had to answer a lot of questions

Just another media-massage

Comment

So the rest of the league is too stupid to see what you see as feigned interest?
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

that's my whole point

what team doesn't know about their cap situation and ability to pursue a guy before they actually let it be known publicly they are interested? Then...to say they are backing off over "due diligence" at the very least they are adding fuel to the fire by not specifying that it was purely financial.
        Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
        May 7, 2010

Comment

Knowing their cap situation isn't all they needed to know to make a deal, but your point about not specifying financial reasons I suppose has some legs.

Comment

Just for show

That Reid did his buddy a solid probably doesn't change a thing, but its a basic PR move that happens all the time. Just a little back-scratching and now his agent can say " well Reid and Morningwheg were still interested"

The "inevitable stampede by 31 other teams !!!" didn't materialize so his agent needs to have something to lean on.

Comment

Ok ... this begs the question ... why do you think Reid and the rest of the stampede to get him isn't materializing?

Comment

Probably same reason there was no trade market for him

Originally posted by slag View Post
                Ok ... this begs the question ... why do you think Reid and the rest of the stampede to get him isn't materializing?
                There's more to this we don't know...

Only 1 visit scheduled so far for a young pro-bowl receiver coming off his best year.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
                  what team doesn't know about their cap situation and ability to pursue a guy before they actually let it be known publicly they are interested? Then...to say they are backing off over "due diligence" at the very least they are adding fuel to the fire by not specifying that it was purely financial.
                  So if any team considers him and then decides not to sign him do we just chalk it up as smear?
                  --
                  Your Retarded

Comment

... why do you think Reid and the rest of the stampede to get him isn't materializing?
                    Couple of reasons in my view
                    Non-DJax reasons:

WRs are not a premium position
                    There are a plethora of cheap & talented ones available in May
                    FA market for WRs was pretty soft in '14, they are considered replaceable

But most of the reason teams aren't going after him imo are related to DJax the person, not Djax the player. Fans love DJax the player, GMs and coaches are wary of DJax the person. The delta between what a draft pick WR brings and what DJax brings isn't large enough to overcome the Risk associated with having him in your locker room.

I thought that was why Andy's interest had a value because it addressed the elephant in the room. I am guessing Andy is getting a several phone calls on the topic this week - Reid and the Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie knew each other for years in GB.

Comment

The availability of other options is not a Non-DJax reason IMO.

The question is whether his unique talent is worth the trouble and, unless you think Jackson-skill-level players are falling off trees, it seems you're saying that even lesser players are more attractive without Jackson's baggage.

Thus, am I correct that you think most coaches and GM's think the Eagles made the right move because the "player" isn't worth the trouble caused by the "person"?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by Reid addressing the elephant in the room.

Do you see Reid's interest as something that emphasizes Jackson's shortcomings because the Chiefs ultimately did not sign him, or negates it and will result in other teams calling him and Reid trying to influence them to make Jackson an offer?

Comment

I'm guessing the teams that don't want jackson are the teams that took him off of their draft boards in 08. He did nothing to deserve that and there's no proof that he's done anything since.

Comment

Thus, am I correct that you think most coaches and GM's think the Eagles made the right move because the "player" isn't worth the trouble caused by the "person"?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by Reid addressing the elephant in the room.

Do you see Reid's interest as something that emphasizes Jackson's shortcomings because the Chiefs ultimately did not sign him, or negates it and will result in other teams calling him and Reid trying to influence them to make Jackson an offer?
                          2nd part first-
                          IF Andy jumped out of consideration immediately, it sends the wrong message ( at least publicly) So he did a little dance. Now other teams will call him and he'll offer his opinion, but I doubt he will try to sway anybody. All they want is his opinion on their time together. Chiefs not signing him is of little consequence imo

As far as the first part, yes, I believe Jackson's liabilities outweigh his assets and that's why he's available, same as any player in the NFL. The Eagles shopped him and got to see the reaction around the league before they cut him. And maybe the lack of interest validated the choice in their minds and maybe it allowed them to tell their side of the story

Whether its the right choice remains to be seen. Millions of idiot Packer fans thought dumping Favre was criminal, but with the benefit of time and more information on his off-field transgressions, opinions have evolved.

Here's what I do know:
                          Djax is a very talented WR
                          Nobody traded for him
                          The FA stampede hasn't materialized yet.

Risk vs Reward is apparently tilting away from Risk right now
                          The math may have been different pre-Hernandez, but that's the current landscape in the NFL

Comment

Why would the Chiefs smear him?

Like I posted, "due diligence" is unclear.

I could mean just checking the price.

But something just feels wrong here ... if their lawyers are telling them to shut up, I'm thinking there must be something to shut up about beyond he has a friend in a gang.
                            the Chiefs' lawyers told them to shut up?
                            Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
                              The Chiefs don't have enough cap space and they know they can't compete for his services unless he gives them a discount. It's more bad reporting via twitter than a real story with any depth.
                              waste of time. nobody is interested in facts. djax is obviously going to be indicted this week. he's a killer.

The Chiefs are down to about $4.5 million of salary cap room. Only five teams have a smaller amount. Their cap situation looks like it will be tight again in 2015. They are in no position to take on a huge annual salary or win any bidding wars, and that's what it might take to land Jackson.
                              http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...desean-jackson
                              Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

you tell me

if a team publicly says they are interested, then tells its fanbase they are backing off "after due diligence" but without further explanation, no mention of finance or cap space, coming on the heels of the gang ties allegations...what would you call it?

Im talking about one team doing that specific thing, not "any team" using your more generalized formula. And I call it an implied, if not outright SMEAR.
                                Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                                May 7, 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X