Sports Cities in America

7. Philadelphia
    CHAMPIONSHIP SEASONS SINCE 1965
    3%
    SEASONS SINCE LAST TITLE
    CLOSE CALLS
    19%
    TOUGHEST LOSS
    2010 Stanley Cup finals (or name an Eagles loss — so many to choose)

If making a sport's final four were all that mattered, Philadelphia would be a beacon of success. Its teams have reached that stage in an impressive 22 percent of their seasons over the last half-century, a better rate than Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago and every other city with at least two teams other than Boston.

But Philadelphia's teams almost always come up just short. Since 1984, only the 2008 Phillies have won a title. A remarkable 19 percent of the city's seasons since 1965 have ended with what we're calling a close call — a final-four appearance without a championship.

Making matters worse, the immediate future doesn't look bright for three of the teams. In fact, Philadelphia has a claim on being the city with the four worst combined teams today. The Eagles (a bright spot with a 10-6 season) and the Flyers both missed the playoffs in their most recent seasons. The 76ers won just 22 percent of their games last year and have become notorious for trying to create bad teams in order to stockpile top draft picks. The Phillies are hovering near last place in their division, with few promising young players.

Does all that make the notorious grumpiness of Philadelphia fans — known as boo birds — a little more understandable?

Great article

And so true.

Comment

If you broke it down by sport

I am guessing that the Flyers would lead in final four chokes over that period.
      DB

Comment

I know they say too many Eagles chokes to mention; but the 2010 Flyers loss isn't even in the top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
          I know they say too many Eagles chokes to mention; but the 2010 Flyers loss isn't even in the top 10.
          After the bruins series, it was house money anyway.

Comment

agreed about the blackhawks series. that was really just the flyers losing to a better team. i'd even the 04 conference finals a "tougher" loss for the flyers, though my toughest loss would be the 2011 NLDS, with the 02 and 08 NFC title games being close runners up.

even though there were way fewer teams a half-century ago i'm still surprised that nearly one of our four teams has made the final four on average over the past fifty years.

Comment

In my lifetime....
              1) 2002 Eagles
              2) 93 Phillies
              3) 2004 Eagles
              4) 2003 Eagles
              5) 2011 Phillies
              6) 2009 Phillies
              7) 2008 Eagles
              8) 2000 Flyers
              9) 2001 Sixers (even though they had almost no chance)
              10) 2006 Eagles

If we were counting college sports, Temple's 2000 loss would be after the 2011 Phillies.

Comment

In my lifetime....
                1) 2002 Eagles
                2) 93 Phillies
                3) 2004 Eagles
                4) 2003 Eagles
                5) 2011 Phillies
                6) 2009 Phillies
                7) 2008 Eagles
                8) 2000 Flyers
                10) 2006 Eagles

If we were counting college sports, Temple's 2000 loss would be after the 2011 Phillies.
                Pretty good list.

2011 Phillies was a pretty bad chicken choke. Don't know how to classify it with regards to the 93 Phillies. The 93 team overachieved but when the final chicken was choked it was spectacular. 2011 team underachieved when crunch time came.
                --------
                "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

2011 was probably worse considering the aftermath. Halladay's career was over, Howard's never been the same player and the organization has been a disaster since.

I just have '93 that high because I was a young kid and the choke in game 4 is still an all timer.

Comment

The 83 WS was a little hard for me to stomach, but 93 was a classic kick in the balls from Senor Pollo.

Comment

good point. to me the 2011 phillies topped the list and forever cemented themselves ahead of the 02 eagles as the best team to achieve the least. 93 was a better example of a team just blowing it spectacularly.

my top 10:
                      1. 2011 phillies
                      2. 2002 eagles
                      3. 2008 eagles
                      4. 2010 phillies
                      5. 2009 phillies
                      6. 2003 eagles
                      7. 2004 eagles
                      8. 2013 eagles
                      9. 2004 flyers
                      10. 2010 flyers

it's tough because i'm really trying to rank these as chokes. 1-4 are examples of a team losing to an inferior opponent. the 09 phillies may not have been better than the yankees but definitely could have won. after that i'm just ranking losses that sucked pretty much. a team like the 06 or 09 eagles, whose losses sucked, but who i never thought had a shot before their elimination, doesn't make the list.
                      Last edited by art vandelay; 06-07-2015, 02:44 AM.

Comment

90 and 92 eagles showed me what I can expect in my life.

Not a hockey hockey guy but the 1997 flyers were a major choke.

2013 temple owls along with 2000 owls. 2000 owls take the cake but not a single player in 2013 showed up besides Khalif Wyatt
                        I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

In my lifetime....
                          1) 2002 Eagles
                          2) 93 Phillies
                          3) 2004 Eagles
                          4) 2003 Eagles
                          5) 2011 Phillies
                          6) 2009 Phillies
                          7) 2008 Eagles
                          8) 2000 Flyers
                          10) 2006 Eagles

2008 Eagles wasn't really supposed to be in the NFC Championship and was playing in a house money postseason that year.

Comment

That Flipper Anderson game at the Vet did it for me.

Also who could forget the Flyers up 3-1 games againt Devils to only choke another Stanley Cup appearance.

Comment

Working...
                            X