Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball question (go easy on me, not that bright)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball question (go easy on me, not that bright)

So how does a team like the New York Yankees stay competitive year after year and a team like the Philadelphia Phillies just collapses into this abysmal mess that seems to have no end in sight? Thank you in advance.

One Word

Bribery.
    "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
      So how does a team like the New York Yankees stay competitive year after year and a team like the Philadelphia Phillies just collapses into this abysmal mess that seems to have no end in sight? Thank you in advance.
      It's what the Yankees don't have...Amaro.

Comment

they spend their money on guys that are good.

Comment

It's still Philadelphia

The curse city when it comes to sports.

Comment

Do the Yankees..........

....just eat a guy's contract and move on? Are they able to afford to do that and the Phillies are not? Because the Phils are obviously strapped by some of these bums and they just stand pat. It's so depressing. I have no desire to watch the Phils at all.

Comment

Other than Philadelphia 2014/15, name a city with all 4 major sports franchises that didn't send at least one team to the playoffs. I'm down to 1938 and Still looking.

Comment

The lore is half of the deal. Not many franchises can contend with the history of the Yankees (good or bad as that might be). The money is pretty nice, too.

Comment

....just eat a guy's contract and move on? Are they able to afford to do that and the Phillies are not? Because the Phils are obviously strapped by some of these bums and they just stand pat. It's so depressing. I have no desire to watch the Phils at all.
                  Willingness to eat a bad contract does help. If the Phils were willing to pay much of Howard's contract, they could get better prospects in a trade.

The strict budget has boned them before: trading away Lee to save money after getting Doc, for example.

And then there's overpaying in trades and (a little) bad luck. Oh, and shitty player development.

Comment

Lorebore

Sorry. I had to do it. But seriously: You are probably right to an extent. Look at these Asian players that the Yankees always seem to sign. Japan's best players don't want to be Phillies. They want to be Yankees. (like for instance that f*ck who won the MVP of the 2009 Series who couldn't even speak a word of English when they tried to interview him after the clincher)
                    Last edited by Two Gap Penetrator; 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Sorry. I had to do it. But seriously: You are probably right to an extent. Look at these Asian players that the Yankees always seem to sign. Japan's best players don't want to be Phillies. They want to be Yankees. (like for instance that f*ck who won the MVP of the 2009 Series who couldn't even speak a word of English when they tried to interview him after the clincher)

So you're saying it's a "culture" thing, maybe Chip has something there!

Comment

Do you think people "want to" play for the Eagles?

Because of factors other than money alone? I remember a time when you heard players talking about wanting to be Cowboys.

Comment

Because of factors other than money alone? I remember a time when you heard players talking about wanting to be Cowboys.

Let me put it this way, I think there are players on the team right now that would rather be here than anywhere else.

I think some of that is wanting to play for Chip, and I think at least one guy has really taken to calling Philly home.

Comment

The Yankees have deep pockets, but money isn't nearly the advantage for them these days that it used to be. They don't even have the highest payroll in baseball anymore (the Dodgers do.) The core of their ongoing success is excellent internal player development. Smart free agent signings and the ability to shrug off massive contract mistakes certainly help, too.

Comment

Are you talking about Connor Barwin?

I like that guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X