Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many true 4-3 DEs do we have? What will the front 7 look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading Alonso would be silly. He has virtually no value and he played well in a 4-3 in Buffalo. He's going to start at one of the LB spots, at least until he gets hurt.
    "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Ya, think I heard Thornton was pretty much gone regardless of Chip staying or going.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
        Trading Alonso would be silly. He has virtually no value and he played well in a 4-3 in Buffalo.
        When? He never played a down with Schwartz as DC or the Bills running a 4-3.

They ran a 3-4 his rookie year.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG JAY View Post
          Rotoworld...

Early projections have Kendricks at WLB, Jordan Hicks at MIKE, and Connor Barwin on the strong side.
          I read that Schwartz himself referred to Barwin as a DE.

I think starters are Graham and Curry in base, with Barwin rotating in on each side. When they go nickel, either Curry or Graham can move inside with Barwin replacing them.

That means the nickel pass rush front is Cox, Curry, Graham and Barwin, with Barwin especially skilled at the 'Joker' pass-rushing position. That's a pretty scary set of rushers for any QB.

It's all conjecture right now, but it's the one part of this team I'm genuinely excited about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
            When? He never played a down with Schwartz as DC or the Bills running a 4-3.

They ran a 3-4 his rookie year.
            Not really. And I didn't say he played for Schwartz.

"The" base front for Buffalo in 2013 was nominally a 4-3 front, and was a hybrid defense that incorporated both 1-gap and 2-gap principles. If you know what that means, you're ahead of the game. If you don't, I'll translate.

"Hybrid"

The Bills played what was essentially a front with 4 down linemen. Mario Williams sometimes had his hand off the ground as a "linebacker" but the vast majority of the time he was in the game to play just like a 4-3 defensive end. He was going to rush the passer off the edge, and he was going to set the edge against the run. While some might focus on Williams as the "hybrid" part of this defense, whether Williams was in a 2- or 3- point stance was mostly inconsequential. The real "hybridity" in the scheme is how the Bills' players acted after the snap.
            Last edited by Melchior; 02-03-2016, 05:33 PM.
            "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

I'm not going to argue with you Cosmo, but the defense Kiko played in Buffalo might be considered a Hybrid but it's not the same type of 4-3 with the same type of responsibilities he's going to have now.

One of the Bills big offseason stories was how Kiko was switching to a new position because of a new defense. While he might have played well in a Hybrid, I wouldn't say you can say he "played well" in a 4-3 defense (like Schwartz's) because he never actually played in true one being asked to do the things he's going to be asked to do now.
              Last edited by Sect 236; 02-03-2016, 05:55 PM.

Comment

LBs actually look pretty good to me

Originally posted by nor'easter View Post
                If Barwin rotates at DE then what happens at LB? Unless Kiko resurrects his 2012/13 self then putting #98 on the front line weakens LB further. IMO
                Kiko was coming off an ACL injury. There's no way he's so shitty again, right? I mean he was a beast his rookie year. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Kiko Hicks and Kendricks should be there starters. Who plays SAM?

Comment

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
                  I'm not going to argue with you Cosmo, but the defense Kiko played in Buffalo might be considered a Hybrid but it's not the same type of 4-3 with the same type of responsibilities he's going to have now.

One of the Bills big offseason stories was how Kiko was switching to a new position because of a new defense. While he might have played well in a Hybrid, I wouldn't say you can say he "played well" in a 4-3 defense (like Schwartz's) because he never actually played in true one being asked to do the things he's going to be asked to do now.
                  You're not going to argue because you're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
                    Kiko was coming off an ACL injury. There's no way he's so shitty again, right? I mean he was a beast his rookie year. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Kiko Hicks and Kendricks should be there starters. Who plays SAM?
                    Kiko is 6 foot 3. If he can get back to his rookie form, he'd be a great SAM. Kendricks speed, I think makes him a great WILL, and we all saw what Hicks can do from the middle.

Comment

I think Barwin will play the joker role.

Originally posted by Dan Drives a Van View Post
                      I read that Schwartz himself referred to Barwin as a DE.

I think starters are Graham and Curry in base, with Barwin rotating in on each side. When they go nickel, either Curry or Graham can move inside with Barwin replacing them.

That means the nickel pass rush front is Cox, Curry, Graham and Barwin, with Barwin especially skilled at the 'Joker' pass-rushing position. That's a pretty scary set of rushers for any QB.

It's all conjecture right now, but it's the one part of this team I'm genuinely excited about.
                      ...he can cover and pass rush....too versatile not to have on the field.
                      Last edited by Raptor; 02-03-2016, 08:01 PM.
                      "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                        ...he can cover and pass rush....too versatile not to have on the field.
                        Just think of the potential of a nickel package where the 3 down lineman are Graham-Cox-Curry and Barwin can roam and come from anywhere.....but with Schwartz drawing up the plays instead of Billy D. Scary stuff.

Comment

Throw in ....

Originally posted by Dan Drives a Van View Post
                          Just think of the potential of a nickel package where the 3 down lineman are Graham-Cox-Curry and Barwin can roam and come from anywhere.....but with Schwartz drawing up the plays instead of Billy D. Scary stuff.
                          Logan,Kendricks, and hopefully a healthy Kiko and you have some fun combos.

I expect # 27 to have some sacks this year as well.....Schwartz will have fun this year.
                          "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post

...Schwartz will have fun this year.
                            One small added bonus is that Schwartz game- planned vs the NFC North for 4 years and the NFC East plays the NFC North in 2016 season. There's obviously been many changes since he left, but he still has a leg up on the division. Cutler, Rodgers and Stafford are still around .

Comment

he's 264 and no OLB Should cover the slot guy

he is quick but a good TE will beat him,, he could drop 7lbs and play Strong side,,,just let him Cover backs and TE's, and rush the passer on 3rd and long..
                              Last edited by TRENT; 02-03-2016, 09:07 PM.
                              OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                              "BFTR"

Comment

I agree 100%...I was excited about the front 7 last year but they SHOULD begin to thrive this year. Should...

Comment

Working...
                                X