Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wonder if Aaron Hernandez is getting a good night's sleep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if Aaron Hernandez is getting a good night's sleep?

@DanWetzel: Shayanna Jenkins to be called to testify Friday, will she flip on her fiancee, Aaron Hernandez? http://t.co/XSpgkXVcEk

Why A-Her didn't...

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
    @DanWetzel: Shayanna Jenkins to be called to testify Friday, will she flip on her fiancee, Aaron Hernandez? http://t.co/XSpgkXVcEk
    ... hire Johnny Cockslag, I have no earthly idea.
    DB

Comment

My honest opinion is I think he did it, but that he will be acquitted.

In other news I have been called for jury duy next month.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Isn't that why they got engaged? You can't testify against your fiancee.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          My honest opinion is I think he did it, but that he will be acquitted.
          That's what I think too. I'm still unsure how readily he'll be accepted back into.the NFL if acquitted.though.
          --
          Your Retarded

Comment

Jerruh would sign him while his lawyer was giving his victory speech on the courthouse steps.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
              In other news I have been called for jury duy next month.
              [KGing]
              I just completed that last week. In my county they collect a week-long pool of people for juror assignment. Those who aren't picked for a trial are tossed back into the pool.

I sat with about 140 others in a big assembly room, and they occasionally drew a random 35 to walk into the courtroom, where the basics of the case were presented. Once all the juror prospects had a chance to announce any problems with the particulars, they drew another random 24 or 28 (depending on the judge) from that group, dismissing the rest back to the big assembly room.

Then both sides worked on eliminating X number of people from the group. Those who remained were actual jurors (or alternates).

Over the course of three days, I got called into the pool of 35 twice. I made the group of 28 once, and I failed to make the final cut. So basically nothing happened.

The administrator dismissed everybody who was not assigned to a trial on Wednesday afternoon. In the end I had a nice little mental vacation. Plenty of time to sit, listen to music, read, surf the web, and such. And to try and avoid the ding-dongs who wanted to gab about dumb shit all day. The nice thing is that my company paid me for the days (and I get to keep the whopping $9 a day that the county owes me). It was cool to check out some decent lunchtime restaurants near the courthouse, too.

Hopefully you'll be part of something interesting.
              [/KGing]

Comment

I was the swing vote in a huge not guilty verdict. Made 50k from a drug king pin and hey, no harm done.

Just kidding. I've never had jury duty. I've been sent notices but when I call the day before I've always been well past the cut # so don't even have to show up downtown. Which is a shame bc there are some great bars and restaurants around the Capitol.

Comment

sure fire jury avoidance method

I was the swing vote in a huge not guilty verdict. Made 50k from a drug king pin and hey, no harm done.

Just kidding. I've never had jury duty. I've been sent notices but when I call the day before I've always been well past the cut # so don't even have to show up downtown. Which is a shame bc there are some great bars and restaurants around the Capitol.
                  When the lawyers just begin asking you where you live, etc., hold up a hand and say:

"STOP, I think I can shortcut your questions. I just want to say I am uniquely qualified to serve on this jury, because I can tell IN AN INSTANT, by simply looking at the defendant, whether he/she is guilty. I've had this ability my whole life, and look forward to using it in this trial."

For those of you who want to do their civic duty, etc., do not use this method.
                  DB

Comment

Really don't need all that

Just let them know, "I'm a college educated professional, an independent thinker capable of making my own decisions based on facts presented."

No fucking way in hell a defense lawyer wants you on the panel.
                    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

My friend's suggested tip for avoiding being selected although I have no idea if it works:

Regardless of the qualifier, refer to a group of people as "those people".
                      --
                      Your Retarded

Comment

Unfortunately, there is never an opportunity to tell them stuff like that.

There was one guy who was pissed about having to be there, asking more than once, "I want to know who's gonna pay my bills." (Alas, he's a redneck farmer who apparently didn't read the fine print about getting a self-employment exemption.) Eventually they gave up and let him go home.

I think that if you're up for that final cut, and the lawyers are doing their peremptory challenges, it can be helpful to look really angry...or perhaps to nod off while they look at you and your fellow potential panelists.

But hey...I'm more than happy to do my civic duty. I wish it was more interesting, but it is what it is. And now that it's done, I have a three year grace period before I'm eligible to be called again.

Comment

I'd love to serve and fulfill my civic duty

Up to now I haven't had that opportunity and I seriously doubt it will ever happen.
                          "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

I've been selected for a trial once. We ended up with 5 child molestation guilty verdicts on a guy (the boys were his three nephews). It was very hard seeing those innocent children on the stand recounting their experiences. The experience still impacts me today. I try to find some inner-peace knowing that we helped convict a complete scumbag.

After the trial was completed, the judge addressed the entire jury in an empty courtroom. His speech went well beyond the normal, "Thank you for fulfilling your civic duty." One of the things he reviewed about the case was even more scary. It couldn't be overtly discussed during the trial but there was a long (5-year) gap in the personal history of the accused that was obvious but we (the jury) didn't know what had happened. Here the guilty party had already spent 5-years in jail for previous child molestation conviction. At that point, one of my fellow jurors started weeping and really don't blame her. I hope that guy never sees the outside of a prison again.

-Ten

Comment

Sounds like a scary but rewarding experience.

One of mine was a case where a guy got tanked at a local bar and drove around with his sister and girlfriend. He wrapped his truck around a pole and killed his GF. They were charging him (rightfully so) with vehicular homicide.

The other case was ridiculous. Apparently a guy called the state police barracks and verbally abused a specific cop. Twice. So they went after him for harassment. Several of us, once we were excused back to the assembly room, wondered why the hell that even went to trial.

Comment

Working...
                              X