Confidential to Slag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidential to Slag

I was on Long Island all weekend for a wedding. Question: How do you drive around there and not want to blow your brains out? 2 plus hours to go 30 miles from NJ to LI, all on highways.
    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Like most major metro areas ... sometimes you're just fucked and other times you can go around the shit if you know the local roads.

I assume the Belt is where you took it up the bunghole ... that road is stone impossible sometimes.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

All over the place. I'm used to NYC traffic but that was brutal! Maybe I've gotten too used to dodging buggies out here.
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I have driven on every major highway in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan area, and nowhere are the traffic jams worse than the Belt Parkway to the Southern State. I don't know how anybody can live on Long Island.

Addendum: the Cross Bronx Expressway is a close second.
        Last edited by RSE; 05-24-2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
          I was on Long Island all weekend for a wedding. Question: How do you drive around there and not want to blow your brains out? 2 plus hours to go 30 miles from NJ to LI, all on highways.
          I had a conversation with a friend of mine tonight who told me it took him an hour and a half to go ten miles in Miami.
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
            I have driven on every major highway in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan area, and nowhere are the traffic jams worse than the Belt Parkway to the Southern State. I don't know how anybody can live on Long Island.

Addendum: the Cross Bronx Expressway is a close second.
            The only ways I think it is workable from LI are as follows:

You live and work on LI and preferably in the same area. This actually is the case for a lot of people.

You have a "reverse commute". Even that is questionable if you have to cross a major bridge or tunnel.

You work a schedule which makes your travel occur on non peak hours.

You live near a train station and work in Midtown.
            --------

Comment

P.S. I'm pretty sure the major reason the Belt Parkway is always f*ed in that area is because of the airport.
              --------

Comment

L.I. sucks until you get out 40 miles, try tooling around there in a 75' long Semi if you think it's bad in a car!

Now you all know why I moved to Stickville all those years ago.

Comment

The cross Bronx, however,....

has the entertainment value of those black leather jacketed Ramones lookalikes flying onto the road in their 72 Ford Galaxies from those short little on ramps. No wonder no one drives in the right lane for long.
                  John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Ah, the cottontops in their panama hats

and driving their Lincolns/Caddies going 50 MPH in the far left lane of I-95. I can sort of understand why someone would put a couple of bullets in one of their cars.

The best is when they line across all three or four lanes and drive the same speed.
                    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Word ... I avoid both during the times you'll get fucked.

Living here awhile, I've learned when to stay away ... but I still use the BeatTheTraffic app to check them before I get on, even at times when they're generally moving.

Comment

They say no one's ever beaten the Van Wyck.

Comment

Something that just occurred to me ... a fringe benefit of going to the game with you and my nephew (aside from the yuks) is that I don't use the Belt on the way home.

Coming back was usually at a time that was moving, but occasionally I'd get hammered taking that road.

Comment

Working...
                          X