anybody tried substitute teaching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody tried substitute teaching?

thinking of giving it a whirl. Work when I want, as much or as little as I want. Maybe it sucks, maybe I'd like it but I dont know until I try. Anybody?
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

My wife does it and she enjoys it very much. Where I live she calls or logs in each night before she is interested to work and picks the school, grade and the assignment. It could be just one day it could be for a few days or even weeks if you are taking the place of someone on say Maternity Leave.

Comment

I knew a baseball scout who did it in the off-season. He said it beat sitting at home watching daytime TV.

Comment

You'll love it.

Comment

I did it at a couple of schools before being full-time, while finishing up my degree. It really depends on whether you have a solid relationship with a decent administrator or school system.

I did, and really enjoyed it. Every day was something new, and I got to learn a lot about kids and all kinds of different subjects.

However, for those who just get thrown into a large personnel pool and wait to be called at random to schools they have no relationship with, I've heard the experience is generally less positive. However, that's in the NYC school system, so your experience could be quite different.

Comment

Do you "support" her by telling her how corrupt the administration is, or that she'll probably get stabbed when she goes to the classroom?

Comment

See if you can get you 300 yard school restraining order lifted first.

I did it on college breaks. Elementary school is hard because they demand a lot of attention. Try to get HS and middle school assignments.

Comment

Kelly Gregg's Wife Started That Way

There were no fulltime openings when she got her certification and passed whatever tests teachers have to take these days, so she got on the substitute list for a number of districts and was getting called several times a week.

One thing to consider -- she is an elementary teacher and subs on that level supposedly have it easier than high school. Looking back on my high school days I can attest to the fact we were BRUTAL on subs. Then again, that generally didn't apply when the sub was man so you'd have that going for you.
                "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Depends on where you're at and what grade level you do. I'm a high school administrator in Philly, where subbing is some of the bloodiest blood money that I've ever seen a person make. Try to get in with a good school or district and then work in a nice rotation for yourself. It's a job that's always in demand, and administrators will value/use you if you demonstrate even a semblance of human competence.

Comment

We need substitute teachers up here in Schuylkill County.

Comment

This guy should be your role model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...yt-cl=84503534
                      John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

IG substituting...what will be on your lecture agenda? Asian lesbians? Theory of picking up women on Facebook?

Comment

The man who changed basketball forever. (required reading assignment!)

Comment

tHANKS

...for all responses, serious and non serious alike.
                            Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                            May 7, 2010

Comment

Working...
                            X