Interesting Article on Ray Rice Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Article on Ray Rice Situation

I don't know this guy's previous work well, but this is pretty thoughtful, and has some larger implications for modern journalism.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...up_on_TMZ.html

Its a great article and its something I've been harping on for years
    The unholy alliance between the league and the networks who cover it while earning billions

We saw a bit of it when the NFL forced the show "Playmakers" off the air because it focused on the unsavory underbelly that The Shield didn't want shown.

The networks want access and they want money from ads and the ability to pimp their new fall lineup for 3 hours every Sunday, Monday, Thursday. How can they be counted on to be objective or to report anything that makes the league look bad ? That literally takes money out of their pockets

Another part of the unholy alliance is that the media and the players/coaches they cover often share an agent. That's why we get timely tweets during a contract negotiation, trying to sway the public opinion in a favorable way and force teams into a corner. Quid pro quo

I'm glad there is a TMZ; somebody has to comment on the Emperor's new clothes. Meanwhile Mark Cuban is smirking as the NFL scrambles to save the female demographic. Should be an epic pink October as The Shield proclaims its undying fealty to women. Barf

Comment

Did you see that DeAngelo Williams dyed his hair and painted his nails pink?

I'm waiting for the NFL to say that he can only do this in October.

http://deadspin.com/deangelo-william...the-1631713124
      --
      Your Retarded

Comment

This probably will make me continue to sound like a Deadspin shill, but that's why I like going there for news and opinions.

They seem to have less of that relationship with the leagues themselves and are willing to call out the NFL, NCAA, MLB, NHL, IOC, FIFA, etc. when they act like scumbags, tyrants and cartels (all the time?).

That and they have a way of delivering things in a way I find to be pretty entertaining.
        --
        Your Retarded

Comment

Deadspin is still independent from the corporate money grubbers and so long as they maintain that independence, they stay relevant and interesting

If you're gonna shill for somebody, they aren't a bad choice :D

Comment

Further example... look at the big networks (and media sell out Pro Football Talk) not mentioning the Jerry Jones whore photo scandal last month.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken all the other leagues are much softer on domestic abuse. Wonder if they are going to be proactive and change their policies before public outrage forces them to.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                Further example... look at the big networks (and media sell out Pro Football Talk) not mentioning the Jerry Jones whore photo scandal last month.
                Pro Football Talk is a fascinating example. They made their bones as an outside-the-box muck-raker, and now that NBC bought them they are just one more vehicle for the company line.

(That being said, Florio did offer a pretty solid critique of Goodell from the legal aspect. Kind of undermines my point, but gotta give credit where it's due.)

Comment

PFT

Florio made a huge leap in readership and credibility by exposing the Michael Vick story- a story that the networks and league really wanted to bury.
                  kudos to him on that one

Florio still takes shots at Goodell/NFL/NFLPA despite the NBC ownership, but he's lost a bit of his independence... he can't stop being a credible foil for the league or that entire PFT franchise is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Drives a Van View Post
                    Pro Football Talk is a fascinating example. They made their bones as an outside-the-box muck-raker, and now that NBC bought them they are just one more vehicle for the company line.

(That being said, Florio did offer a pretty solid critique of Goodell from the legal aspect. Kind of undermines my point, but gotta give credit where it's due.)
                    I've liked PFT less since they joined with NBC - I read it much less frequently.

When the head writer/editor is on the network sanctioned broadcast of the league's premier weekly event, how can you not look at his reporting with a jaundiced eye?

The site's snark/tone/etc. isn't nearly as sharp as others like Deadspin (I need to get paid for these plugs). It feels like the edge has been blunted to placate the masses. Maybe it was always like that.
                    --
                    Your Retarded

Comment

I don't know this guy's previous work well, but this is pretty thoughtful, and has some larger implications for modern journalism.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...up_on_TMZ.html
                      http://deadspin.com/espners-are-piss...o-c-1632424069

ESPN seems to be at least showing some push back against the NFL's claim of ignorance. We'll see how long this holds up.
                      --
                      Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                        ESPN seems to be at least showing some push back against the NFL's claim of ignorance. We'll see how long this holds up.
                        How can they not lash out at the NFL at this point? The NFL is so clearly and publicly guilty of a PR-driven cover-up that if reporters didn't hold them accountable now, they would lose their own credibility along with Goodell and those jokers down in Baltimore.

Even Olbermann with his tirade of righteous indignation is only riding the tide of public opinion. It's all after-the-fact posturing, and too little too late.

Comment

How can they not lash out at the NFL at this point? The NFL is so clearly and publicly guilty of a PR-driven cover-up that if reporters didn't hold them accountable now, they would lose their own credibility along with Goodell and those jokers down in Baltimore.

Even Olbermann with his tirade of righteous indignation is only riding the tide of public opinion. It's all after-the-fact posturing, and too little too late.
                          I don't think Olbermann is really a reporter as much as commentator. Shefter, Mort and McManus are all reporters who are juiced in and are possibly biting the hands that feed them. I'm just curious how long it will last.

EDIT TO ADD:

Olbermann also spoke out when the 2 game suspension was given.

Last edited by TerpEagle; 09-09-2014, 03:51 PM.
                          --
                          Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                            I don't think Olbermann is really a reporter as much as commentator. Shefter, Mort and McManus are all reporters who are juiced in and are possibly biting the hands that feed them. I'm just curious how long it will last.
                            Point taken. But I think it lasts as long as the public remains interested and pissed. The reporters and Olbermann are both simply reacting to an outraged public, rather than informing the public about what there is to be outraged out.

Truth be told, I actually think that if ESPN is going to continue to stay accountable to their responsibility to the public, sites like TMZ and Deadspin will play a big part.

Comment

This just posted at SI

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/09/esta-s...licy-ray-rice/

Comment

Working...
                              X