OT: Is anyone still into College Hoops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
    Granted the Eagles winning the SB has made this offseason different than any others, but there used to be a lot of College Basketball threads this time of year. I'm sure the 1 or 2 Villanova fans are still into it, as well as they should be.

I didn't watch it all this year. I think Fran Dunphy running Temple into the ground had a lot to do with it, but just in general I'm not interested. I think the one and done rule really did a number on the product. It used to be my favorite!
    Eagles winning the SB and Terps under achieving this season have quelled my interest. I'll likely have games on in the background this weekend but I'm not that in tune with things.

I think it should be a pretty open tournament though - there don't seem to be any teams heads and shoulders above the others.

I agree with the sentiment as well that the disparity between compensation for schools/coaches and players in the NCAA is wearing on me more and more.

The recent scandals bother me not because the players were getting paid but because this secret bullshit has to go on for them to be paid.
    --
    Your Retarded

Comment

I think the only way things fundamentally change is if the FBI brings the whole thing to a halt.

There's a lot of interesting proposals. One obvious one is to let players make money of their likenesses. That seems easy enough.

I'd like to see the NCAA contribute a sum of revenue into a trust fund to be saved to pay future claims/medical benefits/insurance on players and then release a certain sum (not sure of amounts) to the players to be shared or perhaps given to teams to spend towards players like a salary cap. I'd be fine with doing to salary distribution on a conference level so that the Power 5 can rule their keep.

I have to imagine this is just legalizing a system that already exists.

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
        Eagles winning the SB and Terps under achieving this season have quelled my interest. I'll likely have games on in the background this weekend but I'm not that in tune with things.

I think it should be a pretty open tournament though - there don't seem to be any teams heads and shoulders above the others.

I agree with the sentiment as well that the disparity between compensation for schools/coaches and players in the NCAA is wearing on me more and more.

The recent scandals bother me not because the players were getting paid but because this secret bullshit has to go on for them to be paid.
        I agree with this, and everything about the NCAA pisses me off.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
          I think the only way things fundamentally change is if the FBI brings the whole thing to a halt.

There's a lot of interesting proposals. One obvious one is to let players make money of their likenesses. That seems easy enough.

I'd like to see the NCAA contribute a sum of revenue into a trust fund to be saved to pay future claims/medical benefits/insurance on players and then release a certain sum (not sure of amounts) to the players to be shared or perhaps given to teams to spend towards players like a salary cap. I'd be fine with doing to salary distribution on a conference level so that the Power 5 can rule their keep.

I have to imagine this is just legalizing a system that already exists.
          The likeness is the one I think needs and can happen soon.

Conference based caps would be interesting but I think that'll run into snags with conference re-alignment and money/expectation disparity within conferences themselves.

Ohio State and Northwestern aren't going to want to allocate the same amount of resources to their on-field talent. I don't see how the higher revenue earning school will be ok with profit sharing if it directly relates to talent.

Maybe a soft cap would work or limited profit sharing for compensation to players but one that can be exceeded by rich athletic departments.

One argument against this is that the good school will pay for all the talent. Well, they get it already so I don't know how much that will matter but it could be exacerbated.

Also, what's the effect on post-season play and championships.

Basketball at least has a tournament system that is somewhat less arbitrary in determining who the top team is and who gets to participate since the field is larger.

But overall, the push for a NATIONAL CHAMPION has probably made profit sharing harder at the collegiate level. If things were like European football, you'd have multiple leagues and winning that league is near paramount with effectively an additional/alternate season for a cross-league winner.

IMO, it seems highly unlikely for American football to follow that model or even be able to. Perhaps it would work for other sports.

In the end, what I think will work (or have to work) is just letting the school pay players based on what the market demands. There are too many teams and tiers to force a cap.
          --
          Your Retarded

Comment

Been following Lonnie Walker’s career throughout high school and now at The U, so I’ll be watching the Canes. Like Roth, the shitshow that Dunph has turned Temple into has soured me a bit.

Comment

There are all sorts of interesting ideas. I don't know what's right other than to say that a man is entitled to his labor - does the league create a certain amount of money it should keep? Yes. But much of the product is the players and they should be compensated at least what the market would bear. Clearly, the market bears more than scholarships and room/board.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                There are all sorts of interesting ideas. I don't know what's right other than to say that a man is entitled to his labor - does the league create a certain amount of money it should keep? Yes. But much of the product is the players and they should be compensated at least what the market would bear. Clearly, the market bears more than scholarships and room/board.
                Someone pondered paying the kids in escrow, depending on years played and upon graduation.

Comment

Hard to believe Temple is "just another team" at this point. After all of those years of being one of those teams which were a difficult match-up for anyone in the tourney they're now NIT fodder...pretty sad.

Comment

doesn't dunphy have two tournament wins? they lose in the first round under him more than anything, even when they're the higher seed. not sure about them being a touch matchup.

Comment

I think he's referring to when Chaney was the Coach.
                      Dunphy is 3-16 in the tournament. He was given a 10 year contract after Temple beat Penn State at the buzzer in 2011.

Comment

Working...
                      X