X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Brandt once again breaks shit down

Using logic and reason and zero emotion:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/09/desean...-nfl-business/

Agree with much of what he says except for the fact that in the case of the Eagles, they still do need his talent. Jackson's production on the field was matching his contract. Chris Johnson no longer was. The notion that KKKooper can replace Jackson's production is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
      Agree with much of what he says except for the fact that in the case of the Eagles, they still do need his talent. Jackson's production on the field was matching his contract. Chris Johnson no longer was. The notion that KKKooper can replace Jackson's production is silly.
      I think the article was pretty spot on. Good find.

As to whether the team needs him on the field, I think you and I both agree they're a more explosive team with him. However, I think Kelly and much of the team feels they don't actually need him. If it turns out well, and the whole team really embraces the "team over individual interest" mantra as result, the team might actually be better for it. It's a huge gamble, and I think for a move supposedly about building for the long-term, I think it actually raises the stakes for the upcoming season in a big way.

Comment

I guess the crux of the whole situation is, do they need his talent at the cost? That answer can only be indicated after a few games, but the final answer only comes at the end of the season.

Success might be the best deodorant, but it takes some patience to endure the stench until the odor goes away.
        Last edited by Damned Thing; 04-10-2014, 10:30 PM.
        WELCOME TO THE PHILA. SPORTS FANISM. WIN, WE LOVE YA, LOSE,WE LOVE YA, BUT YOU'RE A DICK FOR LOSING.
        - DEERSPINE GUY

The classic Philly sports fan mindset. It's not right or wrong - it is what it is. Both a shame and a mantle of pride. Love and hate in constant turmoil.
        - Susquehanna Birder

Comment

Originally posted by Damned Thing View Post
          I guess the crux of the whole situation is, do they need his talent at the cost? That answer can only be indicated after a few games, but the final answer only comes at the end of the season.

Success might be the best deodorant, but it takes some patience to endure the stench until the odor goes away.
          Agreed. If the team does better than last year, it won't matter much. It's a big if in my mind.

Comment

The talent/need factor might be a better angle

If Maclin had ever proven that he can stay on the field, but he hasn't. I think that I would have even been a little better with cutting DeSean if I felt that the Eagles could depend on Maclin to be on the field for the entire season. I hope that Chip finds a way to replicate Jackson's production, but I don't forsee it being easy.
            The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
              If Maclin had ever proven that he can stay on the field, but he hasn't. I think that I would have even been a little better with cutting DeSean if I felt that the Eagles could depend on Maclin to be on the field for the entire season. I hope that Chip finds a way to replicate Jackson's production, but I don't forsee it being easy.
              Wait, before last season, Maclin missed only 5 of his first 64 games. Last year he blew out the ACL. Every player is one unfortunate play away from that type of injury. Not sure what you are talking about when you say he hasn't proven to stay healthy. It's not like he keeps missing games with different injuries every season.

Comment

He's coming off of a significant injury

Originally posted by joe9518 View Post
                Wait, before last season, Maclin missed only 5 of his first 64 games. Last year he blew out the ACL. Every player is one unfortunate play away from that type of injury. Not sure what you are talking about when you say he hasn't proven to stay healthy. It's not like he keeps missing games with different injuries every season.
                he's also dealt with other issues, such as the lymphoma scare. I was mistaken in saying that he hasn't stayed on the field, but to me it just feels like he's been sort of prone to injury, etc. since he's been in the league.
                The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                X