Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Caldwell Jones

Only 64.

Played center the year the Sixers finally beat the Celtics in the Eastern finals, then was traded in the Moses Malone deal. He was a really good player and a good guy.

When I covered the Sixers during that era, Caldwell always had a beer in his hand postgame and went into the clubhouse beer cooler and stuffed a six pack into his bag before leaving.

About 10 years ago, I was at Wing Bowl and afterwards, there was CJ with a push broom, sweeping up confetti. I went up to him, said hello, and finally said "Caldewell, what happened?" This was a guy who played something like 15 years in the ABA and NBA.

Caldwell just said "Too many wives."

RIP
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

I remember when you posted that story ... felt bad then ... feel worse now.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Damn, that's a bitch man. I remember him well. We are getting old.

Comment

Caldwell Jones

I think he had several brothers that played in the NBA as well.

Sad.

Comment

Charles Jones

briefly played for the Sixers. Played sparingly for the Bullets, but did last a few years in the league. Not sure about any other brothers
          May 7, 2010

Comment

BUMP for CJ's card.

Originally posted by slag View Post
            I remember when you posted that story ... felt bad then ... feel worse now.
            May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
              Only 64.

Played center the year the Sixers finally beat the Celtics in the Eastern finals, then was traded in the Moses Malone deal. He was a really good player and a good guy.

When I covered the Sixers during that era, Caldwell always had a beer in his hand postgame and went into the clubhouse beer cooler and stuffed a six pack into his bag before leaving.

About 10 years ago, I was at Wing Bowl and afterwards, there was CJ with a push broom, sweeping up confetti. I went up to him, said hello, and finally said "Caldewell, what happened?" This was a guy who played something like 15 years in the ABA and NBA.

Caldwell just said "Too many wives."

RIP
              That really is terrible. Wonder if he had Health Insurance? Black males hard hit with coronary issues. Ah isnt America great. I forget having quality healthcare is not a right it is a privilege, right ?

Comment

Damn, that sucks. He was an important cog in those outstanding Sixers teams. I didn't know he had fallen on hard times.

64 is far too young in today's world.

RIP

Comment

Working...
                X