• Show
Clear All

• Hey Trent-- 40 years ago in Ithaca

What a scene it must have been.

Barton Hall is an interesting place.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

They say its the best Scarlet > Fire of all time
    WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

When I traded in my old Jeep 6 months ago, which still had a cassette player, I had to run back and grab my tape of that show from the dealership. I treasure that.
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

thats awesome,,,yeah I have a had a tap of that show

since I was about 14
        My brothers took me to English town In 77 gave me like 5 joints rolled in Cherry Papers and left me outside.... and yeah it has the killer Scarlet fire where Phil is just going off,,,most likely just wearing socks that night
        OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
        "BFTR"

Comment

Definitely right up there with Merriweather Post!

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          What a scene it must have been.

Barton Hall is an interesting place.
          I always say I was born 10 years to late,,,Ohh well I made the best of my Trip!
          OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
          "BFTR"

Comment

sound quality is great on this new release.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
              sound quality is great on this new release.
              I ordered it yesterday. I wasn't aware they were releasing it. For years they weren't able to because a bunch of master tapes were auctioned off without the band's engineer's permission and this was one of them. For years it was in the hands of a private collector. I guess they somehow managed to get their hands on the recording.

The recording of this show which was inducted into the Library of Congress' National Recording Registry was made by a taper, which certainly is appropriate.
              --------

Comment

My buddy got his last week

he's my music connection,,,and has had the entire live dead collection for decades now...Now he's getting the master tapes,,,he's loving it,,say its great.
                OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                "BFTR"

Comment

Originally posted by TRENT View Post
                  he's my music connection,,,and has had the entire live dead collection for decades now...Now he's getting the master tapes,,,he's loving it,,say its great.
                  It sounds great and the band is on and at the top of their game. It's impossible to say what the greatest Dead show ever was... I'd say personally for me it was the first one I saw at the Spectrum.

But this has to be top ten or better.
                  --------

Comment

makes sense. for as long as i've read about the GD, 5-8-77 has pretty much been the show that if you're into the dead, you have a copy.

read that the music never stopped on the 5-9 release is spliced, missing about 20 seconds from the peak. kind of a bummer.

Comment

All time favorite GD show

I'd like to get my paws on the vinyl release. I've always listened to that show on Internet Archive. Pretty good matrix mix done by one Mr. Hunter Seamons up there. That spring 77 run was about the tightest I've ever heard the Dead.
                      "You on the other hand, describe your shit so many times and revel in how glorious or strange it looks that there is absolutely no doubt you most definitely DO have a shit fetish." - Kelly Green

Jim Lahey is a drunk bastard.

Comment

GROOVIN ON THE SPECTRUM SHOW FROM 78' RIGHT NOW. NEXT UP IS J.F.K. SHOW FROM 89'.
                        "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                          makes sense. for as long as i've read about the GD, 5-8-77 has pretty much been the show that if you're into the dead, you have a copy.

read that the music never stopped on the 5-9 release is spliced, missing about 20 seconds from the peak. kind of a bummer.
                          I have a cassette of this with a hand drawn cover. Probably third generation. This is something much more better sounding than that.

This release has a special meaning for me as this concert was legendary at Cornell. When I first showed up to move in at my dorm in Ithaca, I was wearing a Dead T-shirt. The janitor of the place immediately said to me "You'll fit in well here". He was correct.
                          --------

Comment

One other thing to note is this is before they started to get a little lazy with the "Space" and "Drums" jams.

To me the energy used to weaken while they were doing that.
                            --------

Comment

Working...
                            X