No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...cap_space.html

Good article on extensions / cuts / cap situation...

My list of players needed to get a new deal:

Alshon
    Graham
    Bradham

...dump Smith, Celek and let Robinson walk...

On top of that isn't Wentz's rookie deal up at the end of next year?

Never mind 2020 is the last year of the current contract.
    Last edited by Eagle Road; 11-28-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Ya. When that happens, we’d better brace for losing a few good players. It also stresses the importance of nailing draft picks.

Comment

Wentz also has a 5th year option, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
          Wentz also has a 5th year option, I think.

Could be wrong but I think that's if they tag him?

Comment

Saw the writer was ESP and didn't read any further.
            On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

no - those are different operations

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
              Could be wrong but I think that's if they tag him?
              This will come up in April of 2019:

As I understand it, 1st round picks have a 5th year option on their contracts. If exercised, they can be unrestricted FAs after the 5th year. Whereas, if declined, I believe they are restricted FAs after the 4th year.

5th year options give top 10 picks the average of the top 10 salaries at their position. Later picks have a different average.

A franchise tag is something like the average of the top 5 at the position or 120% of some other salary. Security aside, it is extremely player beneficial for that one year (Kirk Cousins), but puts significant risk on the player because it's football and nothing is guaranteed after 1 year.

Comment

This will come up in April of 2019:

As I understand it, 1st round picks have a 5th year option on their contracts. If exercised, they can be unrestricted FAs after the 5th year. Whereas, if declined, I believe they are restricted FAs after the 4th year.

5th year options give top 10 picks the average of the top 10 salaries at their position. Later picks have a different average.

A franchise tag is something like the average of the top 5 at the position or 120% of some other salary. Security aside, it is extremely player beneficial for that one year (Kirk Cousins), but puts significant risk on the player because it's football and nothing is guaranteed after 1 year.

Thx, I hadn't read that far into it,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

The salary cap rules are interesting

Thx, I hadn't read that far into it,,,,,,,,,,
                  I'm always amazed at the way the rules are bent by effective GMs. For all his faults, Joe Banner was a friggin master of the salary cap (if an unspectacular negotiator at times).

ESP seems to suggest Jernigan is expensive this year, but by signing him now, the Birds can shift a 2.5 mil hit per season into a 2 mil hit per season, but paying him a bonus on this cap year. If you're in on jernigan, I think that's a smart move.

Bitching about Torrey Smith (easy cut), Celek (probable cut), Peters (retire, restructure) and Curry (??) is silly. The cap is made up there. The problem is how Howie has been fixing Chip's mistakes with FAs and long term deals.

You cut those 4 guys above and the eagles have 16+ mil in cap room.

Comment

I'm always amazed at the way the rules are bent by effective GMs. For all his faults, Joe Banner was a friggin master of the salary cap (if an unspectacular negotiator at times).

ESP seems to suggest Jernigan is expensive this year, but by signing him now, the Birds can shift a 2.5 mil hit per season into a 2 mil hit per season, but paying him a bonus on this cap year. If you're in on jernigan, I think that's a smart move.

Bitching about Torrey Smith (easy cut), Celek (probable cut), Peters (retire, restructure) and Curry (??) is silly. The cap is made up there. The problem is how Howie has been fixing Chip's mistakes with FAs and long term deals.

Honestly won't be surprised if JP retires, didn't he get a good chunk of guaranteed money when they redid his contract?

I also wouldn't be surprised if the FO offers him some type of assistants job with the line, if he is the one responsible for Big V's coming of age I would be all for it, not to mention how well liked he is both inside and outside of the organization.
                    Last edited by Eagle Road; 11-28-2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

He'll get an internship

Honestly won't be surprised if JP retires, didn't he get a good chunk of guaranteed money when they redid his contract?

I also wouldn't be surprised if the FO offers him some type of assistants job with the line, if he is the one responsible for Big V's coming of age I would be all for it, not to mention how well liked he is both inside and outside of the organization.
                      Doug P did the same thing in like 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by CbEagle View Post
                        Saw the writer was ESP and didn't read any further.
                        I’m not a huge fan of his, but these are just facts about contracts

Comment

...which 90% could go to Alshon...

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
                            ...which 90% could go to Alshon...

My gut feeling on Alshon is he might take less money for a longer deal, he's 27? Already been noted that he likes it here and I don't think he is necessarily a "highest bidder" type guy, might be looking for his forever home?

Comment

I think Kendricks can also be cut this offseason.
                              "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Working...
                              X