Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Else Listening to This "Serial" Podcast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Else Listening to This "Serial" Podcast?

It's fascinating.

Shit is awesome.

Anand could not be more guilty.

Comment

SPOILER:

I think ultimately he is, but I also think Jay had more to do with it than he claims.

Adnan telling him "you're pathetic" in court makes me think it was something they did together and then Jay concocted a plan to have Adnan take the fall. Adnan thinks it's better to try and deny it all happening than it is to admit it but also try and prove Jay was more involved.

Also, I read a theory that Jay is/was an informant for the police and that's why they believed him so much. That makes sense too.

Comment

The thing is, I don't think that the police really believed Jay's version. Their tone with him indicated that they knew he was lying and they just didn't care because they needed him to get their man.

What I think happened was probably pretty close to the version Jay told his friend BEFORE the police got to him: that Anand had come to him with the body after killing the Asian chick in a fit of rage. What Jay never said, but I'm sure happened, is that Anand then offered Jay a lot of money to help him get rid of the body, probably in the range of 1000 dollars. It was at this point that Jay took control of situation and came up with the idea of disposing of the body in Leakin Park and arranging an alibi for Anand, two things he did an awful job of. Jay never mentioned this because he is a scumbag who wanted to keep the money. All his bullshit about feeling guilty was just that, bullshit.

The frequent alterations of Jay's story were because A) he was trying to get things to fit the cops bullshit timeline and B ) because he is a compulsive liar who can't help but make shit up.

For Anand's guilt, we have a few very solid pieces of evidence:
        1. His contemptuous "pathetic" outburst in the courtroom was a reaction of disgust of somebody who been ripped off, not the enraged reaction of somebody being wrongfully accused.

2. His phone being in Leakin Park the night of the murder

3. His failure to attempt to contact Hey, admittedly a close friend of his, at any time after her disappearance and his audible shock when confronted with that fact.

All in all, the crime sounds like a crime of passion by a somewhat unbalanced high school kid who hid how fucked up he was behind a "good boy" mask. It probably merited a manslaughter or at worst murder 2 conviction but it is still hard for me to see him as much of a victim in this situation.

Comment

I think his religion plays into this more than has been discussed so far. Appears to have felt a lot of guilt about not being a good Muslim. Adnan sounds so damn content in prison. Even said he was glad to be living a true Muslim life now.

It obviously didn't go down according to the police/Jay's account in court.
          Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

I didn't want to read/comment

until I caught up. FYI - there is a "Slate Serial Spoiler" podcast which is a nice add-on and good to get your fix until the next episode is out. I don't necessarily recommend it (it's okay), but worth a listen if you're really interested.

Without getting into a legal discussion, my biggest problem with Adnan's case is that he has no theory of the murder nor does he present a story in which someone else has any plausible motive to kill her.

Now obviously, that was not his job at trial, but I believe a good defense attorney (likely the subject of another episode) not only sheds doubt on the prosecution's case, but also gives their own version of the events. This is especially true because Jay was definitely involved in the murder/cover-up and he admits as much. So why did Jay or why did Jay and another person do it? We're offered no other plausible explanation here and that's really confounding to me

The mysterious Call(s) to the police also annoy me. It's either Jay or the made up 3rd person right?

Comment

Working...
            X