Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how is LA supposed to support two teams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how is LA supposed to support two teams...

...when LA repeatedly did not support one?
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Do you want to go to the beach Sunday or drop a cpl. hundred and watch the rams? This is going to turn into a clusterfuk. Last I heard Raiders are the odd team out.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
      ...when LA repeatedly did not support one?
      And the fact that it is the Rams! the very team that bailed 20 years ago....

The word right now is that the Chargers are not happy with the way things went down, will use it as leverage to possibly stay in San Diego.

Comment

that would actually make the most sense

I dont know, I only visit there but my sense is the home teams are not a big deal...fans arrive late and leave early...I guess its all about TV money and not PELs and tickets
        May 7, 2010

Comment

I dont know, I only visit there but my sense is the home teams are not a big deal...fans arrive late and leave early...I guess its all about TV money and not PELs and tickets
          Watch the Chargers move to St Louis.
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

St. Louis will build a stadium for someone. I think they'll start courting the Jaguars.
            -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/12/dea...-lying-to-you/

Comment

The "LA" can't support a football team narrative is wrong. The Raiders and Rams both left over personal disputes. Besides, and I think IE said this, LA can support a football team alone just based on the number of displaced fans from other cities that live there.

That being said moving 2 teams there is setting the city up to fail. The NFL is clueless.

Comment

if it's wrong, why...

...did the Rams first move to Anaheim? Why were there so many empty seats for the Raiders? because the Coliseum was in a bad area? Because it was a shithole?

Why didn't some other team relocate to LA in the last 20 years if its such a great market?

Just asking.
                  May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pat View Post
                    Do you want to go to the beach Sunday or drop a cpl. hundred and watch the rams? This is going to turn into a clusterfuk. Last I heard Raiders are the odd team out.
                    If that's true, it's the worse possible move. Of any team, there is actually a fair amount of support in LA for the Raiders. I know lots of LA-based Raiders fans who buy gear and would buy tickets. Of any team, they would have probably had the best chance to develop a decent fan base.

Give it 5 years, and I guarantee there will still be more Raiders fans in LA than whatever team they end up moving here.

Comment

...did the Rams first move to Anaheim? Why were there so many empty seats for the Raiders? because the Coliseum was in a bad area? Because it was a shithole?

Why didn't some other team relocate to LA in the last 20 years if its such a great market?

Just asking.
                      If you really want to know, I'll tell you. The stadiums here are a century old. They were outdated 40 years ago. Additionally they were the last of the civically owned stadiums. Cleveland owned there's up until the Browns left for Baltimore. Which is a similar case to LA. The NFL team does not get any stadium revenue when it is civically owned. Not even naming rights, let alone personal seat licenses, etc. Essentially you cannot conduct modern NFL business that way. Additionally, LA was never in the habit of financing a project for a private business. We just don't do that shit here. Political suicide to even suggest it.

The Rams tried to move to Anaheim but that's doing NFL business out of a baseball stadium, where you're the tenant. Still a shitty deal. Off to St Louis they went and you could hardly blame them. Georgia wasn't a billionaire, she was a black widow who inherited the team, never liked So Cal, and moved back to her home town. Can't blame her even though I would like to.

There's 10 million people in LA County now. That's more than the population of some entire divisions in the NFL. There's interest. Always has been. It's been the stadiums all along and who could pony up the dough to build their own. One thing's for sure, the Rams will double in value in short order. Kroenke's already ahead. And the Rams are the area fan's choice. Rosey Grier is still alive and am awaiting his reaction soon.

edited to add - back when the Raiders played there, the Coliseum held 120,000 fans. When 72,000 show up the place looked half empty.
                      Last edited by The Ref; 01-12-2016, 10:32 PM.

Comment

LA is one of the most spread out cities in the country with the worst traffic. No new team moved there because threatening to move there was the best way to get a new stadium built with public funding.

I know it was far from perfect and they couldn't sell out but I think with a new stadium and all the excitement it'll be different this time around. The only potential downfalls are people having to choose between 2 teams and how expensive they're probably going to make tickets. The real fans, the ones who are willing to sit in traffic for more than an hour, get there on time, and not leave early, are the ones who will get priced out. I guess that's true for most cities but at least cities like Philly have solid public transportation to the games.
                        Last edited by ishimonster; 01-12-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

what about the Rose Bowl?

good enough for multiple Super Bowls but not as a way station for an NFL franchise in the last 20 years?

Just trying to understand here. That is an entire generation that grew up with no NFL team.
                          May 7, 2010

Comment

I disagree. The Raiders are definitely the area fans choice. From the existing fan base to the current potential of the actual team they're a better option.

Comment

good enough for multiple Super Bowls but not as a way station for an NFL franchise in the last 20 years?

Just trying to understand here. That is an entire generation that grew up with no NFL team.
                              I've lived in Pasadena for most of my life. It's a horrible location for an NFL team because it's not central to anything. Most people who live south or west of LA would not be willing to make that commute.

Edit to add: One of the greatest stadiums in college football though.
                              Last edited by ishimonster; 01-12-2016, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X