Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought it was poor secondary play that cost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought it was poor secondary play that cost...

The Eagles a playoff spot. I am reading all of these articles about how poor QB play cost them. But outside of the Seattle and Packers games, they scored enough points to win games on offense, I thought the secondary cost them in the other 4 losses:

1. You had a wide open Frank Gore on that throwback against the 49ers that was a key TD.

2. The 75 yard TD to the Cards.

3. The nightmares against the Cowboys and Skins.

4. Even the games they won against the Rams and Titans, the secondary gave up big numbers to non descript QBs.
    Last edited by bobbyuk; 01-14-2015, 10:43 AM.

I would agree....

Originally posted by bobbyuk View Post
    The Eagles a playoff spot. I am reading all of these articles about how poor QB play cost them. But outside of the Seattle and Packers games, they scored enough points to win games on offense, I thought the secondary cost them in the other 4 losses:

1. You had a wide open Frank Gore on that throwback against the 49ers that was a key TD.

2. The 75 yard TD to the Cards.

3. The nightmares against the Cowboys and Skins.

4. Even the games they won against the Rams and Titans, the secondary gave up big numbers to non descript QBs.

For 85% of that...QB play contributed but do did several other things...play calling, dropped passes, and of course turn overs.
    "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Can't truly have a chance against Seattle when your QB is no threat to pass downfield.

They clawed back into the Dallas game, and then Sanchize throws a pick after Dallas regains the lead, and again, lack of ability to throw downfield hurts.

Had a chance to beat Wash, and then, Sanchize throws a pick.

Defense, secondary specifically, put them behind the 8 ball, the QB play just added to it.

Comment

QB play is similar to refereeing in that calls and plays at the end of close games are different from calls and plays early in the same games.
        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Case in point...Rodgers played lousy in the first half on Sunday, then, in "winning time" he played like the MVP.

Edit to add: I'm not as sold on Foles as you are, but I still do want to give him one more shot. One definite positive to his game is that he does play better later in the contest.
          Last edited by Sect 236; 01-14-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
            For 85% of that...QB play contributed but do did several other things...play calling, dropped passes, and of course turn overs.
            I think we say Sanchez fail to outperform Foles even with a healthy OL and more effective run game (Shady was 3.9/carry in the first 8 games, 4.6 in the final 8) and Sanchez wasn't actually terrible (numerically speaking, at least...the killer turnovers were awful).

I think if you hold steady the offensive talent (ensuring the effectiveness of the OL going forward is the biggest issue) or upgrade slightly (keep OL effective, start Matthews instead of Cooper, add another WR or get more production out of Huff), the offense is going to be plenty effective to win a lot of games.

Gotta fix the secondary, though.

-AE

Comment

You're confusing me being sold on him with me finding it ridiculous to pronounce him a bust ... as some here overtly state or imply.
              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

QB play was what cost them the 49ers game. can't get shut out.

really the inability to punch the ball in against the 49ers and cards kept the eagles out of the playoffs, and that falls on chip.

Comment

Well, then I guess we're on the same level then.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                    QB play was what cost them the 49ers game. can't get shut out.

really the inability to punch the ball in against the 49ers and cards kept the eagles out of the playoffs, and that falls on chip.
                    Yep put it all on Foles. With Kelce Mathis and Johnson out. Virtually no run game. If you your oline is competent you put that ball in the end zone and win.

Brady the first 5 games looked like dogshit ... reason - new oline cord. and took time for everyone to get on the same page. Same thing was happening and the talking morons on tv and radio were saying its the end of the line.

Foles deserves another shot. This team has character and I strongly believe if they didn't lose those O linemen the first half of the season and the starting qb the second half we would all be getting ready for a great game in Seattle.

Well there is the off season and to get better on defense and the second string o line got meaningful reps this season that is a plus. Im excited about next season. Time to put this season behind us and anticipate what is to come.
                    Last edited by iowaigglefan; 01-14-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X