Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles plotting to get Mariota

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...egon_quar.html

"From No. 20, it's certainly not going to be easy,'' said the person, who requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak on the subject. "It's probably going to take moving up twice to do it. There's going to be some wheeling and dealing involved.''

Asked if he thought it could happen, the response was telling.

"Can it happen?'' he asked. "I don't know. But they're going to try.''
    What it would take to move from No. 20 to the top five has been debated. One NFL personnel executive told NJ Advanced Media a month ago that he would ask for a No. 1 and a No. 2 this year, a No. 1 next year and running back LeSean McCoy.
    Free Agency will be telling. Although, If they get and start Mariota in '15, does that reset expectations?

He Knows The System

The guy definitely knows Chip's system and I'm not like some of my Board Brothers who feel he would be a mega mistake.

They could be right -- but then he's just as likely to come in and have the offense working smoother than ever.

That said, the ONLY way I would support going up and getting him is if they can do it without mortgaging the future. McCoy and those picks -- NO FUCKIN' WAY!
    "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

that's really not that much to give up. we should have given up our 1st and 2nd(or maybe only 3rd) last year to get clinton-dix. instead we wasted the first. better to go quality over quantity.

if mariota really is the guy i wouldn't be upset about trading mccoy. RBs fall off fast and mccoy's cap number is huge. if chip goes with mariota that's an indication that he wants his guy for his system, as opposed to tweaking the system for the players. i would imagine that chip's system with mariota at QB would make life easier for any RB, and it wouldn't be necessary to pay mccoy a lot of money. in this case mccoy is a lot less valuable than a 1st or 2nd round pick so it wouldn't bother me to see him go.

i'm not saying i want it to happen but if that's the package they give up for mariota i'll be willing to wait and see what happens. that's nothing compared to the crippling package the skins gave up for RGIII.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Green View Post
        That said, the ONLY way I would support going up and getting him is if they can do it without mortgaging the future. McCoy and those picks -- NO FUCKIN' WAY!
        define "mortgaging the future." any deal is going to require our first. What else gets included that isn't "mortgaging the future?" And not McCoy either? Then what?
        Last edited by JuTMSY4; 01-20-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

If this team had a history of drafting quality 1st and 2nd rounders I would be against trading all these picks for a qb, but iggs have shown time and time again that they suck at drafting 1st day talent. Really little risk in moving up to draft Mariota. When in doubt remember the names Mcdougle, Mucus Smith, Twatkins, Freddie Mitchell
          Cowboys last SB win is old enough to drink beer

Comment

Ugh

Originally posted by royal View Post
            Mcdougle, Mucus Smith, Twatkins, Freddie Mitchell
            B, C, & J Douche Chills

Comment

Not authorized???

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post

Free Agency will be telling. Although, If they get and start Mariota in '15, does that reset expectations?
              ....the delivery guy really knows a lot.

sounds like a plot from Pinky and the Brain....it's not coming that cheap.
              "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

define "mortgaging the future." any deal is going to require our first. What else gets included that isn't "mortgaging the future?" And not McCoy either? Then what?
                yeah. including our first this year in what we would have to give up just makes it sound like we're giving up more than we are. giving up a second, a future first, and an RB who possibly may not be on the team in a year or two isn't out of this world.

Comment

They give up McCoy who will be the running back ? this is a total waste of time, Nick Foles is a winner and deserves to be the starter. I hope Tampa Bay takes Mariota at #1 and ends this whole thing.

Comment

Look at the schedule for next year. It's loaded with bad teams. They won 10 games this year because they beat the bad teams. If they strengthen the def backfield and bring in a dangerous WR, they should stick with Foles, McCoy , Sproles and go for it all .....NOW.

Comment

2001 Mitchell - BUST
                      2002 Sheppard - OK
                      2003 McDougle - BUST
                      2004 Andrews - JAGOFF
                      2005 Patterson - meh
                      2006 Bunkley - JAGOFF
                      2007 None - Klob 2d Round #36
                      2008 None - Laws 2d Round #47
                      2009 Maclin - Hit
                      2010 Graham - CHUMP
                      2011 Watkins - JAGOFF
                      2012 Cox - Hit
                      2013 L. Johnson - OK
                      2014 M. Smith - CHUMP

Comment

Smart move it they go for it.

If the NFL added 2 expansion teams for the 2015 season the Eagles pass defense would finish ranked #34 But they would have Marcus Mariota and free time to watch the Cowboys play in the postseason.

Comment

let the smoke screens begin

this is kinda early for it but.. what the hell

Comment

We can discuss the merits of trading significant picks for one player, but doing said trade doesn't stop you from making other moves to fix the secondary. They would still have 9 picks over the next two years plus free agency to do so.

Basically, if you trust your talent evaluators to hit on free agents and mid rounders, then you undoubtedly make a move for a guy you consider your franchise QB. Therein lies the problem...do any of us trust them to hit on their free agents and mid round picks?

Comment

You've been posting mock drafts since the last draft ended, you're about the last person who can say it's too early for anything.

Eagles just trying to fool people into thinking they're not gonna draft a DT they don't need.

Comment

Working...
                              X