Life imitating art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life imitating art

Did you happen to notice Ed Hochuli going from official to official and asking them if they had seen the "fumble" by Mathews? In turn each official gave Ed the same "I don't know" reply. After getting the final "didn't see it" from the side judge, Ed looks up and signals Dullass ball.

The whole event was so eerily like the State Farm commercial it was jaw dropping. If only that fucking steroid freak of a referee had left his Mike on during the questioning. That would have been some prime time viewing.
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

I thought of that, too. But to his credit, if there really was any doubt, calling it a fumble was the right thing to do, so that the replay folks could make it right via review.

Of course, I was worried that despite the visual evidence, the guys "in the booth" would somehow miraculously fuck it up.

Comment

When Hoculi turned his microphone on I was surprised not to hear him say ""unfortunately" the runner was down before the ball came out."

Comment

this

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
        I thought of that, too. But to his credit, if there really was any doubt, calling it a fumble was the right thing to do, so that the replay folks could make it right via review.
        Is still a point of contention right? If you rule it a fumble on the field, which most refs do because they would rather overturn it, you are shifting the burden which is unfair. The whole point of the review system is to get it right and if evidence is inconclusive (like many fumbles in piles are), then the deference goes to the play called on the field. That seems stupid to me, but NFL gonna NFL.

Comment

Replay has done nothing but transfer controversy to the guys reviewing the call.

It handles clear reversals pretty good, but close ones are often made worse ... and it takes more time.

And, as you say, it has resulted in officials intentionally shrugging their shoulders and waiting for the replay.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

It's definitely a shift of responsibility, but I don't blame the refs for following the system as it's currently designed. And Ed is probably better and anybody at applying the rules, fair or otherwise.

Comment

It's definitely a shift of responsibility, but I don't blame the refs for following the system as it's currently designed. And Ed is probably better and anybody at applying the rules, fair or otherwise.
              I don't understand how none of them saw he was down, what are they looking at.
              It IS About Me Asshole
              -----------------------
              Fuck off, moron. - Kelly Green

Comment

Yeah, that bothered me, too. Not one of them saw it. But I guess they had to at least try and stay in Jerruh's good graces.

Comment

We were very fortunate that there was a VERY clear shot of Matthews going down.

Comment

I thought the official closest

Yeah, that bothered me, too. Not one of them saw it. But I guess they had to at least try and stay in Jerruh's good graces.
                    had his hand raised and was walking toward the spot where Mathews went down. Then all of a sudden he sees the turds groping each other for the ball and gets confused.

Comment

None of them saw the fumble and none of them saw him being pulled down by his facemask either. Disgraceful across the board.

Comment

Working...
                      X