So how much of it was lack of talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how much of it was lack of talent

and how much of it was players quitting on and/or hating Chip Kelly?

There could be more talent on the team than we think, especially on defense. They certainly looked like they quit by the end of the season.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Good point. I'm thinking the "culture" ended up taking decent talent and sprinkling it with a dose of shitty attitude. Maybe we'll find out this week if there is any glimmer of hope left, talent wise.

Comment

I really think it was the latter. Especially on defense, I think it was a combination of quitting and having a bad DC. I really think if they get Hicks back, get a good DC and go back to a 4-3, the defense can be serviceable.

On offense, it's a talent issue, IMO. At this point, if Bradford wants to stay, I'm not sure you don't try to sign him to something reasonable given all the other needs (particularly OL and WR).
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Yeah they had enough talent to beat the patsies

nm
        "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

I have to admit that I haven't studied the Panthers defense, but I'm wondering how similar it is to JJ's old hybrid system. He could shift between 3-4, 4-3, and even 4-6 looks and come at you from any angle.

Comment

I'm not sold on Ginger, but it would be nice to have someone who is from the JJ line. Team hasn't really been the same since he passed away.
            "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
              I really think it was the latter. Especially on defense, I think it was a combination of quitting and having a bad DC. I really think if they get Hicks back, get a good DC and go back to a 4-3, the defense can be serviceable.
              We saw early in the season the talent the D has. Run defense was a monster, and stopping the run is mostly about motivation and toughness.

I think they got worn down, physically and otherwise, from being hung out to dry by Chip's offense.

Get Hicks back healthy, unleash Jenkins to get in Byron Maxwell's ass when he sucks, and give Rowe an offseason to develop. Also JaCorey Sheppard could contribute next year. Lots of solid pieces - as long as we lock up Cox long-term.

Comment

seemed to me right after Hicks was injured

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
                Good point. I'm thinking the "culture" ended up taking decent talent and sprinkling it with a dose of shitty attitude. Maybe we'll find out this week if there is any glimmer of hope left, talent wise.
                they played 3 games where they just let the other team do whatever they wanted,,,think the team had a big hand in Chipper finding the door,,the New England game was a gift to Lurie
                Last edited by TRENT; 12-30-2015, 04:54 PM.
                OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                "BFTR"

Comment

Its tough to say because there were a ton of vets underperforming. Those players could be on the decline or they could have quit, although Im not sure it makes much difference because history shows that vets who quit on one coach are seldom retained by the new regime. I mean DRC and Jenkins had a few seasons of production left in them when Reid imploded but the Eagles sure didnt benefit.

The problem is that this team clearly lacks young talent and I dont care what anyone in the Eagles organization says, the once and future boss of this franchise was intensely involved in bringing in just about every player under 27 on this roster save for this past season's crop.

Basically, we have Hicks, Rowe, Logan, and Cox on the defense and pretty much nothing very impressive on the offensive side to build on.

The fact that Lurie refuses to recognize that this things needs to be blown up is even more damning. This team is going to suck for a long while with this half-measure mentality.

All roads lead to a rebuild and the owner is taking the scenic route.
                  "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Working...
                  X